H2 HAA Battery - Trimley

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stop line

Reaction score
Made a trip a couple of weeks ago to this battery. This battery was part of the Harwich / Felixstowe AA defences and within the Harwich Gun Defended Area (GDA). The battery was originally armed with four 3.7" guns. Towards the end of the war the site was earmarked to receive 5.25" naval guns (Land Service). The 5.25" was introduced into land service in 1942, with originally twin equipments. Subsequently two types of single gun equipment were developed - one for an AA role and one for a twin AA/Coastal Defence role.

For the first time the following features were available in British AA artillery: electric firing, air blast gear, hydraulic power operated traversing, elevating, loading tray and ramming gears.

It also performed better than the 3.7" guns. Max height range (90 deg) was 55,600 ft (41,000 for the 3.7"); effective ceiling (which is limited by type of predictor and fuse) with Predictor No.10 was 43,000 ft (23,500 ft for the 3.7"); lethal radius of burst for Category A damage (prevention of accurate bombing ) was 100 ft (55ft for the 3.7") and category B damage (failure of aircraft to return to base) was 70 ft (35ft for the 3.7").

Four guns were mounted in concrete lined pits on a Mk 1A mounting. A rectangular open back mild steel shield was provided for each gun. A power house, gun store and shelter were situated below ground adjacent to each gun.

Much still remains of this site including the four gun pits, engine room/stores, command post and radar tower. This is basically a copy straight from my blog, but hopefully it will be of interest for DP as well.
trimleyhaa.jpg

commandpost1.jpg

commanpost2.jpg

commandpost3.jpg

commandpostradartower.jpg

radartower1.jpg

radartower2.jpg

view.jpg

engineroom.jpg

elcable.jpg

water.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-
[ATTACH=full]97887[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]97888[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]97889[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]97890[/ATTACH]
Image 1: The remains of H2 5.25" HAA Battery
Image 2-4: The Command Post
Image 5: Command post and ramped radar tower
Image 6-7: Ramped radar tower
Image 8: View of battery from top of radar tower
Image 9: Generator room and stores etc
Image 10 & 11: Markers for water and electricity cable
Image 12: Gun pit with attached underground power house, shelter and gun store
Image 13: Gun pit with ammunition lockers
Image 14 & 15: Presumably road blocks, including some at nearby farm. Dimensions do not match that of the standard 'pimple' given in Field Engineering manuals.

Attachments

• 2011_0324pakefield0033.jpg
    2011_0324pakefield0033.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 27
  • gunpit.jpg
    gunpit.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 34
  • pimple1.jpg
    pimple1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 27
  • pimple2.jpg
    pimple2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 26
If you could make the pics bigger that would be nice as it looks good.

"Image 14 & 15: Presumably road blocks, including some at nearby farm. Dimensions do not match that of the standard 'pimple' given in Field Engineering manuals."

Those are Tetrahedra and used as part of a Road Block. :)

Munchh - no need to apologise - I realise the pics are of a small image size, its the size I uploaded them to my own blog (size DOES matter and sometimes smaller is better (uploads faster anyway!)).

Thats one place I drive past everyday on the A14 however I have never wanted to go there as someone comitted suicide in there somewhere a about 10 years ago and there is a eary feeling to it all

Latest posts

Back