great barr colony (st margarets asylum) still standing , great barr , may 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went out for a walk the other to great barr park looking for st margarets asylum but id been told(like alot of others) that there is nothing left but that is untrue , alot atill remains including the asylum itself which dates back to 1777 and was owned by the scott family.it was leased by samual galton in the 1780's for his launar society meetings.
From 1919 to 1978 it became great barr idiot colony and a couple of the 20 or so hospital buildings which surrounded the asylum still stand including an isolation ward but most of it has been demolished to make a new housing estate :mad:
you cant get into the asylum tho as its got high security and 2 bull mastiffs on the fence but its well worth look.

great barbarians

some good north birmingham sites your putting on. excellent stuff keep up the good work.

personnally i feel everyone in Great Barr should be in a mental asylum.... BISHY37 take note.

do you know of the large brick built factory on the end of Station St Walsall? i think it has BOAK on its tower and has been part of the skyline for years (did they make cardbord boxes ?) then it became a seatshop but is dissused now and up for sale....... any way worth a look if your in the area.

some good north birmingham sites your putting on. excellent stuff keep up the good work.

personnally i feel everyone in Great Barr should be in a mental asylum.... BISHY37 take note.

do you know of the large brick built factory on the end of Station St Walsall? i think it has BOAK on its tower and has been part of the skyline for years (did they make cardbord boxes ?) then it became a seatshop but is dissused now and up for sale....... any way worth a look if your in the area.

Boak was a leather tanners and the last of its kind in Walsall!

went out for a walk the other to great barr park looking for st margarets asylum but id been told(like alot of others) that there is nothing left but that is untrue , alot atill remains including the asylum itself which dates back to 1777 and was owned by the scott family.it was leased by samual galton in the 1780's for his launar society meetings.
From 1919 to 1978 it became great barr idiot colony and a couple of the 20 or so hospital buildings which surrounded the asylum still stand including an isolation ward but most of it has been demolished to make a new housing estate :mad:
you cant get into the asylum tho as its got high security and 2 bull mastiffs on the fence but its well worth look.

My mother in law was a patient at st Margaret’s - father in law said it was “a beautiful house” loads of history behind it and even some quite dark stuff possibly relating to “devil worship” on the grounds….afraid I can’t ask the mother in law though as she sadly passed away in Kent in 1988

Back