WWI Pillbox at St Olaves (Norfolk)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamishsfriend

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This unusual pillbox, which has a wooden structure built on top of it, can be seen in the yard of Johnson's Yacht Station beside St Olaves bridge. The weather-boarded addition dates from the 1950s. It has since been used as office and later as a workshop, accessible via external steps.

ph129.jpg

ph130.jpg

ph123.jpg

ph126.jpg

The concrete structure is of hexagonal shape and dates from about 1916. Its double steel doors on the rear face and the internal shuttering are still in place.

ph132.jpg

ph142.jpg

ph137.jpg

ph143.jpg

The pillbox was used for guarding St Olaves bridge and is Grade II listed. DOB: S0002128

ph148a.jpg

I wouldnt call that abandonded, i'd call it over-run aha.. nice one brav!

Must have seen that dozens of times from the road (my parents lived for 20 years at Haddiscoe and I regularly drank at the Bell just over the road) and not appreciated that the wooden structure was built on top of a pillbox:cry:

Must have seen that dozens of times from the road (my parents lived for 20 years at Haddiscoe and I regularly drank at the Bell just over the road) and not appreciated that the wooden structure was built on top of a pillbox:cry:

It is hiding in plain sight. :)

Latest posts

Back