Sutton On Derwent Mill, North Yorkshire, September 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FadeOut

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first report and i hope that it's alright :)

I found this place after visiting Elvington Airfield, Here is some history i found after asking a local what the place was called..

Sutton On Derwent Mill

A water-mill on Blackfoss beck was mentioned in 1252 and 1336, and there was a windmill at Sutton in 1368. The later water-mill was on the Derwent. An 'old mill race' was shown crossing the meadow called the Dimple in 1850, but there is no evidence of a mill there and it is likely that Sutton mill has for long stood on its present site, south of the bridge. In 1597 and later the manor was said to have 'three water-mills'. This may have referred to the number of pairs of stones in the mill, but it may be significant that both before and after the mill was rebuilt in 1826-7 following a fire the grinding floor was divided into 'the flour mill end', 'the corn mill', and 'the country mill end'. Then and later the mill had seven pairs of stones, two water-wheels, and in adjoining buildings a granary, a drying kiln, and a shelling mill. It was used until 1960 and subsequently became derelict.

It wasn't possible this time to enter the main building this time around, but i plan on another visit!

Outside View

P1100205 by Madw3ll, on Flickr

From The Back

P1100185 by Madw3ll, on Flickr

Outhouse

P1100203 by Madw3ll, on Flickr

Inside the back building

P1100173 by Madw3ll, on Flickr

again

P1100183 by Madw3ll, on Flickr

Second floor and roof

P1100176 by Madw3ll, on Flickr