Empty village? Big pics warning.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikj

Reaction score
Well OK, it might not be a derelict village but I'm not really sure what it is. There's such a mix of buildings of different ages that it's hard to know what to make of it. Originally it must have been a large industrial site, complete with workers' and managers' houses. The older stone builings are quite large and arranged in a big quadrangle. Of the same vintage is a small church or chapel, so maybe hamlet would be a better description than village.

Oddly, there are a lot of much newer residential buildings surrounding the older core. It makes the whole place seem like a film set. You see houses of this age (1970's?) occasionally empty, but to see everything boarded up is very strange. It has a very Portmeirion feel if you know the place. Just like everybody upped and walked out one day.

Here goes, this is the entrance, it seems to be just at the point that active maintenance has stopped.

172827394_77ee32a2bf_o.jpg

Below is a pic of what may have been workers' houses, not sure.

172827726_86595ba292_o.jpg

Next is what looks like a grander house, maybe factory manager or offices. This forms one side of the quadrangle or courtyard which is inside.

172827822_45864d19cb_o.jpg

Another side of the inner square leads down to the church.

172827614_96e919fa06_o.jpg

And the church:

172827484_7fff32997c_o.jpg

It becomes a little surreal with these streets of newer houses:

172828180_78dd450963_o.jpg

There are several more of these, which I just find odd, that they are all abandoned.

172828006_2daf53ce4f_o.jpg

Anyhow, just a reconnaissance to see what this place was like and it certainly lived up to expectations.

Looks bizzare, The boarding all looks quite recent? possibly not been closed long?

It may be possible to find out its former use by searching local records offices or the net for old maps of the area. Possibly the local town planners may also be worth a look to check for any preposed change of use / demoliton.

Spooky!

There's an area in bristol full of old boarded up 1960s council houses that they're tearing down soon to make way for barratt boxes, it has a similar spooky feel.

I wonder what they're doing there though, do let us know if you find out.

No, didn't try to get in, the church is the only building that is obviously alarmed. That broken window seems to be about the only one in the whole place.

It was quite spooky enough just wandering around the outside! Very strange (and enjoyable) to spend an hour or more there by myself.

The older stone buildings all surround a courtyard which would be great to get into.

that's really odd. other than the boarding it looks tidy and just a bit peopleless. it does have annoying upstairs boarding though, apart from the church, which makes the whole place black inside. but seems they boarded half of it lately, and half of it a while back?

let us know what you find out anyway. tis interesting.

sam

oooh damn look at you not posting locations...thats just mean that is.

Looks fabulous though rick, well found! Looks like somewhere deserted due to some outbreak of disease or something, maybe youve got anthrax all over you now :p

The MOD tend to think in a very black & white way, and sometimes abandons places like this on a grand scale, ie there one minute and gone the next. The newer buildings certainly look like army married quarters, and the older ones could potentially be victorian era military. Is this in an area associated with the military, and does there seem to be an excess of signage, road markings, and other prescriptive stuff like sleeping policemen?

commie dottir, you make me feel so mean. Oh well.

Just to be even meaner, you pretty much go past this place twice a day on the bus!

I always give up the locations eventually, I just think that this exploration game needs a bit of mystery putting back into sometimes! It's easy to think that every empty place has been found, visited, photographed, catologued etc, but it hasn't. There are places much better than this waiting to be found. It just takes a little more work than typing "derelict xxxxx" into google.

@Crisp Monster, yes it certainly has a services look to it, though as far as I know there's no military connection. All the roads have double yellow lines, but I managed to avoid getting a ticket:)

amazing find! i cant wait until you give up the area name... seriously though, bet its fantastic to just walk around, might actually destroy the spookiness getting inside. its what is not seen that does it.

damn you! thats highly infuriating. Im too proud to grovel for snippets of information....

*grovels*

im really stumped for ideas, im usually zonked on the bus to and from work but i know the otley road/old road like the back of my hand so its no where along there. I know that just up from pool along that roman road i saw some things similar but i didnt think there were many forces things around this specific area....hmm.

also i usually put mountains of research into finding places...like royal gardens station! theres nothing even in the library about that.

Hiya,

Years ago there was a village near Chesterfield, Derbyshire called Arkwright Town, and the whole village had to be rebuilt over the other side of the road. think all the village was contaminated with methane, or summat like that. i know it was contaminated with something. So the new town was built and all the terrace house of the old village were all knocked down n flattened. if you looked at the place now you'd never know a village had been there.

Is there a pit (colliery) near there, or factory that has been contaminated?

just an idea.

:) Sal

This place looks fantastic thanks for posting it!! the only this is...where the hell is it?? im from Manchester way so not sure of the area. My searches arent coming up with anything either grrrrrr.
could you give us a few clues as to the whereabouts? Im thinking of goin early next week so i need to find it. any hints would be verrrrrrrry helpful.

Its been over a month now since you posted these pictures - can you tell us the location now please? Or even just the vague area.

This location looks in good order with no vandalism. Might
be an idea to keep its exact loaction to PM's?

b

Yeah that is true, be there but not be seen, and I think if people start finding this place we will loose it, and it look amazing to take some pictures of the area.

S

Please tell everyone who is itching to do it.

You must know they are gunuine by now. After all people are still interested over one month in.

No pressue no hassle from anyone just interested parties who would like a glimse of this unseen lo-cal.

Latest posts

Back