Barrow Hospital - The END really is NIGH - April 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeffyboyUK

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Barrow Hospital - The end is finally here

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the General Info section or Reports, as it's sort of a bit of both.

We all know Barrow Hospital, and we all know it's history. I know there have been a few threads started here and there over the last year or so talking about how the place is going, but so far nothing has happened. Well I can now say that is really is going. I've been keeping an eye on the place as it's my local, and it really has taken a while for anything to happen, mainly due to all of the bats on site, but that's another story.

You may have read about this last year:
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/housing-fewer-offices-old-hospital/story-12326123-detail/story.html

Or seen this a few weeks ago:
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Care-village-create-180-jobs/story-15434967-detail/story.html
but as the article states, the Care Village company has now officially been given the green light.

Went for a little mooch as had nothing better to do, and came across some changes.

As we were leaving, a man in a Land Rover pulled up to the main gates and preceded to enter. He saw us and came to talk to us. He said that as of today, work has officially started on the place, as the asbestos removal people are starting to get to work, and the trees are all (apart from a few at the front) being chopped down and burnt. He told us that the actual demolition was starting in mid-April, and there will be full time security on site from next week. Not that it still won't be possible to explore of course, it'll just make it more interesting!

My advice: If you want to get here and haven't, do it in the next week or two.

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

Trees have been cut down:

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

Cabins are gradually appearing around the site:

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

Works have been extended on Wild Country Lane:

DSC_0149.jpg

Report: April 2012
Thought I would include some more pictures from the visit as an update:

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

Convenient fire?:

DSC_0345.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

Although it will be sad to see the old place go, it has been expected for a while now.

wow they must have appeared literally in the last couple of days as was also there recently...:)
Its days really are numbered now...
Thanks for the info..

I was up there a day or two ago, was looking around for about 2 hours before getting kicked out (well a lift to the gate from a bloke in a pick up truck).

The place was very alive with vehicles - OK it was a week day but every few minutes there was somebody coming or going. Report to follow shortly.

Latest posts

Back