Ledston 'Luck' Colliery Castleford, August 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakey Lad

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Ledston Luck pit was sunk in the 1870's and later formed part of the “super pit” of interlinked workings around Selby. Ledston luck miners were the last to return to work after the miners strike, a year to the day after the National Coal Board (NCB) announced plans to shed 20,000 more jobs in the next financial year.

This was due to the Pit Manager deciding to stamp his authority on his workers, when they arrived for work after the last day of the strike they found he had chained the gates shut saying he'd decide when they could return to work, not them. Their pit would be closed less than two years later in 1986.

The two winding Houses at Ledston survive and were built in 1911. They were amongst the first to use electric winders, at a time most other mines were still using steam. The Winding Houses are on the English Heritage list of scheduled ancient monuments.

Not much of a report to be honest, unless like me, you are interested in mining history. Its pretty local and made for a nice easy mid week explore, one point to note - I took the last two photos earlier in the year, but i liked them and added them anyway :mrgreen:.

As always, thanks for looking​

Last edited:
Nice stuff. I assume you've been down the mining museum pit near you as well? We really enjoyed that!

Yeh, ive been to the mining museum loads of times - They have a decent little reasearch room there where you can reasearch local mines. Spent many an afternoon reasearching for my websites in there!

Great report, liking your picture style, what are you using when processing ?

I use a few different ones fella, most of the time i just use windows photo editor - I don't use all the fancy ones lol!

Latest posts

Back