Tolly Cobbold Brewery

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ether

Reaction score
Myself, Fieldym, Lightbuoy and Kongzi all decided on a trip to the Tolly Cobbold brewery in Ipswich!

Information about the site is as follows:
In 2002 Tolly Cobbold became part of Ridley's and the Cliff Brewery in Ipswich closed ending 256 years of brewing at that site. The company itself claims a history dating back to 1723.

So we walked around for a bit and checked out some outer buildings slightly upset by being unable to get into the main building, then Kongzi and Fieldym made a daring roof top climb and a slightly comedy entrace through a door in the roof and we were all in!

Anyway on with the picture!

Outside Shot

Outer Buildings

Old Case of Tolly Cobbold

Vats

Inside Vat

View out of the little roof room

Old Fox Hotel pub sign

The Beer Stash!

Huge promo bottle of Tolly Cobbold

Found this logo painted onto the wall down in the basement.

Ah something i've always known! :)

Its a pretty good explore with all the little out buildings and the main building is pretty good.

The main building is fairly large in itself and has many different floors taking you right up to the roof, one of the vat rooms has all blue windows which is pretty cool.

All in all i'd say the place is a good explore and its definatly worth getting down there if you get the chance :)

What a great explore! Any more pics?
Love the sound of the blue-windowed room. That logo on the wall is great & in the stash pic it looks as though they'd kept one of every kind of beer they'd ever produced. Amazing find. :D
Oh yes, I agree, beer is best! :lol:

Here's a picture of the blue windows, i have a few other pictures but i'll leave Lightbuoy, Fieldym or Kongzi to post some pictures! i don't want to hog all the glory.

We tried every door possible to get into this place, every window, at one point lightbuoy was going to go down a drain.

Were about to leave and fieldym and kongzi go up this rickety ladder above the security hut, across some dodgy roofing and down another slightly dodgy ladder.

Fieldy walks upto probably the only remaining un-tried door door and it opens.

I figure its always like that tho, always the last place you try. Still saved lightbuoy a trip down the drain!

Ether;10151; said:
I figure its always like that tho, always the last place you try.

Yeah I tend not to try any other entrances once I found the one that I go through!

I'm still confussed as to why they had life jackets in there! ;)

I dont think im going to be able to stop myself from drinking some more of that beer!:sick:

PS. greetings to those of you i havent seen for ages!

Some pictures from me.......

DSCF3970.JPG

DSCF4002.JPG

DSCF4019.JPG

DSCF4035.JPG

Lots more pics on my site, http://www.matthew-field.co.uk

P.S Ether that pic of me makes me look bad! I'm not a fan!

Weather vein on top of the brewery.

Upstairs in the attic type areas.

Looking out accross the river from the top of the brewery in a small viewing area.

Some of the fermentation tanks inside.

The room with 6 fermentation tanks with a blue sky light round the top, full of pigeons, cunts, lots of copper :D

Fieldy on the very tippy top section with the flag pole, required a sketchy climb, good views though.

The egde of a abandonded barge in the river... un related but the brewery over looks it.

Control panel bird shit love.

:D

Close up of display cabinet contents.

Display cabinet of various beers produced there.

Dab was with us in spirit ;)

Piccy of the brewery from inside the outer building complex.

:D Super sweet explore.

Cracking pictures

Tolly Cobbold has got to be the worst beer I ever tasted....mind you I was young at the time and any beer was welcomed

Incidentally, The Commanding Officer of my first ship was a Commander Cobbold of the same family...

Graybags

Nice one dudes, shame I couldn't make it:(

Hi Chaps!

Brilliant pics of a truely fantastic explore. Well done Fieldy for finding a way in (didn't fancy the look or smell of that hole in the ground!) :sick: Thought I'd blown it when I jumped down from that high wall right in front of the little security office, and heard him shout "oi", jump into his van, orange lights flashing, and collared me!:rolleyes: However, there is more than one way to crack an egg, as I found out!:D
Think it would be safe to say we made the most of the daylight, and there sure was plenty to see. Will try to get a few pics posted sometime soon (including that piece of equipment that I'm sure Fred Dibnah would have been proud of!!!);)
Hmm, I hope they have internet access in HMP Chelmsford:cry: ............

Lb:cool:

what a lovely building (even more so as it was a brewery :D ) love the blue windows and the windows in the small viewing area. the weather vane is a great pic too :thumb:

didn;t realise they made so many different beers till i saw all the different bottle :D what are they going to do with the place now? im guessing it will all be turned into even more upmarket apartments, like everything else. grrr!!!

looks like you had a good explore. :)

The building is listed so can't be changed around too much, from what I hear it can't be turned into apartments due to it being too close to an area used for storing rather toxic chemicals, yay!

Rumour also has it that the pigeons used to get into the blue fermentation room and sit around the top, this area was full of CO2 and they would become over come with the gas and pass out, falling into the open topped tanks, the old boys would fish them out, not knowing how long they had been in there. Urban myth? Probably :lol:

thats great news on the first part, but the second bit with the pidgeons falling into the tanks, yuck! omg, ive drunk some of that stuff years ago, when i used to get down to that part of the country. :eek: hehe maybe thats what sent me dizzy lmao. :eek:

As usual, I'm the last one to get some pics of this one sorted, but now have put some into the Gallery section, under INDUSTRIAL.

Lb:cool:

Lightbuoy;10200; said:
As usual, I'm the last one to get some pics of this one sorted, but now have put some into the Gallery section, under INDUSTRIAL.
Hi LB
Brill pics as always. Really love the window shot - it's superb. Was going to post a comment on the gallery but (& call me a daft besom if you like! :D ) I couldn't find any way of doing so. Great stuff!
Cheers
Foxy :)

Latest posts

Back