Rossington Colliery Update

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappel

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update... visited the colliery site at the weekend. All the buildings have gone apart from one shed. Both headstocks remain, but there's little else left. There's a rumour that the headstocks aren't being demolished, but I don't know this for sure.

RIP Rossington...

DSC_0158.jpg

No idea I'm afraid. The shaft underneath the nearest (in the photo) shaft was still open, but I couldn't tell with the other one as there was so much rubble. Which way round are they numbered?

I don't remember how they were numbered off hand, On sites with only two shafts I tend to stick to downcast / upcast to make the distinction as its always easy to tell the difference.

Rm

Unfortunately one of the headstocks is now lying on it's side. The second is sure to follow.

Does it look like it got there through age or did something give it a helping hand:question::(

As a general rule they dont fall over on their own. :( A frame headstocks are usually felled by gas axing the steel at the base then pulling them over with heavy plant. Explosives are sometimes used on large examples (such as those at Thorne etc.)

Sad to hear that Rossington has gone so quickly, I'm pleased that I saw it when I did but I really do dispear at the short sightedness of UK Coal. Thanks for letting us know the latest Snappel.

RM

As RM says, they tend not to just fall over. When I climbed them a few months back they were solid as ever.

I think the land is to be used for a new business park of some sort. Those headstocks would have been great as a centrepiece.

Latest posts

Back