Thamesteel , South East, April 15

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Shuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The steel mill was established in 1972, designed to recycle scrap steel into rods and coils. It survived a number of closure threats and changes of ownership; from 2003 it was operated by Thamesteel , Thamesteel went into administration in January 2012, with the loss of 350 jobs. Six months later, the plant was bought back by the former owners Al-Tuwairqi Group. As of October 2014 there are plans to reopen the plant as a rolling mill. After seeing Mikeymutt's fantastic report, I had to go and see this incredible place for myself, with the able bodied MO2W, To date this is the biggest site I have ever explored. Txt taken from wiki. The pics

DSC_0148_zpsstk2kxsb.jpg

DSC_0145_zpswuury9bw.jpg

DSC_0132_zpsfngdfudp.jpg

DSC_0128_zpscudvvno5.jpg

DSC_0127_zps98zkfc0w.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsv2s17481.jpg

DSC_0111_zps9qjwtjhy.jpg

DSC_0106_zpspfpo9kgd.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsf9biiq9j.jpg

DSCF0811_zpsw4rmnvsn.jpg

DSCF0805_zpsd3sklmav.jpg

DSCF0784_zpsy2ihk9pg.jpg

[URL=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/22keithshawkeith22/media/DSCF0778_zps6i0gmcim.jpg.html]DSCF0778_zps6i0gmcim.jpg

DSCF0777_zpsbsvgefsl.jpg

DSCF0775_zps3nzz83lq.jpg

DSCF0771_zpsc9x5nogv.jpg

DSCF0765_zpsbehbbsgq.jpg

DSCF0757_zpssjthgvmc.jpg

DSCF0746_zpsfbpgil92.jpg

DSC_0150_zpsyvhvi6an.jpg

Nice report there..that is quite a collapse in there..glad I just missed that

Very nice Shuckie,I was born on the Island and remember the place being opened.What I remember of the place is the noise as tons of scrap steel at a time was dropped into a chute to be fed to the furnace,the racket coild be heard half a mile away:)

Ah nice one! I was only just reading, there were special Sheerness scrap trains laid on to bring scrap from all over the UK!

Nice One Shuck, The shot of the light bulbs with the aerosol can in the background confused me for second, I was thinking what the feck are those tower's, Should have gone to Specsavers, I enjoyed looking, Thanks

Fantastic photos as usual Shucky! Glad to hear Mo2w is back out too!
Brilliant as always, thanks for sharing :)

Fantastic photos as usual Shucky! Glad to hear Mo2w is back out too!
Brilliant as always, thanks for sharing :)

Us old farts still have the flame burning X! Was a very comedic entrance using overweight middleage ninja skills... ie scale a small iron fence and fall off the other side in a heap ! Plenty of padding though for a soft landing!;):mrgreen:

Cheers Stufisi'h. Yes it IS as big as it looks. And bigger!... I've done a few industrial explores in my time, but this one was the biggest by far.

Back