Cold Church

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubex

Guard Dog Bait
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This explore turned out a little different than expected; whilst driving home from an old farmhouse I had just visited this is one of those finds that you catch out of the corner of your eye and just have to stop!

I parked up on the side of the road, which was very rural given that the only other house that could be seen was the old rectory next door. To me the outside of this church is amazing and you would almost think it was untouched inside given how overgrown the surrounding land is - it really was a battle of the brambles! Whilst walking around trying to find a way in out popped a man from the bushes! I think we sort of surprised each other and it was that tense, awkward, "Hello, what are you doing here?" moment. So putting on my sweetest smile I explained the situation to him.

He went on to tell me that this place was no longer a church as such, as it was bought by a London property developer 5 years ago - shortly after it was decommissioned - renovated to a ok standard, and then left to this day. According to the neighbour (who owns the Rectory next door - a very extravagant house that's definitely up there in the millions!) the property suffered severe water damage from burst pipes on the second floor a few years ago. According to him, there was water flowing down the stairs and down the walls inside.

After chatting for a couple of minutes, this kind gentleman informed me that he actually had a key to the place, and offered to take me on a tour! Which I gratefully accepted.

As he returned with the keys, he said his wife was a little displeased at him taking me on a tour of the property! But I can't think why :laugh:

The church itself was built in 1875, and featured stained glass by C.E.Kempe - one of which has been removed and now sits in a museum. The glass that is left, however, is still absolutely stunning! I can tell you something: if I had a spare £340K, this house would be mine!

For the most part, the neighbour has lost contact with the owner and is becoming very worried that the place will remain abandoned and become derelict as the property developer who owns it doesn't seem to be very interested after all of the water damage. The life of a London property developer hey!

I hope you enjoy looking, and thank you kind sir for showing me around!

These were original paintings on the wall under the stained glass. They were in pristine condition until the house suffered water damage:

As per the listing regulations of the property, the original flooring had to be left in tact so the downstairs living area was raised. Also keeping within the regulations was the presence of the font, and pulpit:

He laughed when I told him that, in my eyes, this wall was absolutely lovely:

He even took me upstairs!

Thanks for looking

Rubex

Last edited:
That's a stunning church..really enjoyed that.great photos and a great write up..thank you rubex

That a very nice find rubex and good write up still looks in very good nick inside. I like these old churches well done on sweet talking your way inside ;)

Those windows and paintings are lovely. Well done on this, it isn't very often you have your own tour guide. :)

Last edited:
Nice of the man to let you look round not many like that. This church reminds me of a company at Sheffield who brought loads of property but then left it to fall down, I thinks such owners are land banking hopeing that the value of the property goes up then sell it for maximum profit or simply lost interest in it. Nice report.

Latest posts

Back