St John's asylum, Lincoln, Oct15

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wombat

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think I would get the chance to see this place again, and this was one of my favourite explores… I was very keen to go back. And man was it worth it – I saw 4 times more than my last visit three years ago. It was a real privilege to see the cells, the hall, the grand staircase; and some more those iconic honeycomb ceilings. The building is extremely dicey in places – a lot worse than I remembered. Some floors are wonky, some floors are rotten… and some floors are missing altogether. That said, the natural decay in here is awesome.

The site is being converted for housing. A lot of the foliage has been cleared, building work has begun, and the water tower controversially demolished.

Built under the name Lincolnshire County Lunatic Asylum in 1852, set in 120 acres of grounds. In 1940, female patients were transferred around the UK to make way for an emergency department for the war effort. The newly established NHS took control in 1948 and by the 1960’s it was known as St John’s Hospital. The Hospital was closed in 1989, since then it has been sold and gradually been demolished to make way for housing leaving just the main building.

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

more of those corridors
IMG_2217.jpg

ghost :D
IMG_2221.jpg

Great stuff wombat..and great to meet you finally..I am so glad you saw more than you had previously..pesistance pays off and a sore arm now lol

Brilliant! I live in Lincoln, but never had the chance to explore. I take it security has become more lax now that contractors are around? I especially love the shot of the wrought ironwork over the walkway! Top stuff! Thanks for sharing.

UOTE=mockingbird;314756]Despite the scaffolding on the stairs, its still a beautiful place so good job Mr Wombat :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate
At least it means they will probably keep the staircase, even if it wasn't as photogenic as it used to be.

Brilliant! I live in Lincoln, but never had the chance to explore. I take it security has become more lax now that contractors are around? I especially love the shot of the wrought ironwork over the walkway! Top stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
great to see the walkway
we didn't encounter security, but there are some.
also a bit of activity; foliage clearing with a chainsaw, and trucks / diggers driving round the site
be cautious if visiting

I didn't think this was doable these days! Place I had always wanted to have seen but thought I was too late, obvs not. Great set there.

I didn't think this was doable these days! Place I had always wanted to have seen but thought I was too late, obvs not. Great set there.

Me to.
didn't think this was doable either. Especially when the water tower went.
Glad I got to see it again; it's a cracking place

Back