Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory – Cambridge – December 2015

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mockney reject

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score

The history

The Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory(MRAO) is home to a number of large aperture synthesis radio telescopes, including the One-Mile Telescope, 5-km Ryle Telescope, and the Arcminute Micro kelvin Imager. Radio interferometry started in the mid-1940s on the outskirts of Cambridge, but with funding from the Science Research Counciland a donation of £100,000 from Mullard Limited, construction of the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory commenced at Lord's Bridge,a few kilometres to the west of Cambridge. The observatory was founded under Martin Ryle of the Radio-Astronomy Group of the Cavendish Laboratory,University of Cambridge and was opened by Sir Edward Victor Appletonon 25 July 1957. This group is now known as the Cavendish Astrophysics Group.

The site is located at Lord's Bridge,Cambridgeshire on a former ordnance storage facility, next to the now-abandoned Cambridge-Bedford railway line. A portion of the track bed of the old line, running nearly East-West for several miles, was used to form the main part of the "5km" radio-telescope and the Cambridge Low Frequency Synthesis Telescope.

The ones we decided to visit are known as the AMI Large Array(AMI LA) it is composed of eight 12.8-metre-diameter,equatorially mounted parabolic antennas, which were previously part of the Ryle Telescope. The antennas are separated by distances ranging between 18 and 110 m. The telescope has anangular resolution of approximately 30 arcseonds. The LA is used to image the radio sources (mainly radio galaxies) that contaminate the Small Array observations of the CMB. The LA is being used to carry out the Tenth Cambridge Survey of radio sources. The first results from the survey were used to extend the measured 15-GHzsource counts to sub-millijansky levels; this is an order of magnitude deeper than achieved by the Ninth Cambridge Survey, which was the first survey of significant sky coverage at a comparable radio frequency.

The Explore

Again myself and @slayaaaa hit this one up in the no too early morning, we were hoping to get the sun rise, but the sun didn’t really rise all day….

Rather than hit the normal part we decided to go after this cluster of 8 dishes. They kinda reminded me of a group of flowers aiming up at the sun. We joked as we walked towards then that the dirt and the moss on them looked like they had already been HDR’d lol.

Once we got in the area where they are we didn’t really know what to do so had a go at climbing them. This was pretty straightforward and fairly fun, although once slayaaaa noticed the hatch in the actual dish the fun really started. We climbed through the hatch and out onto the dish and just chilled for a bit. As it was early in the morning the whole area was pretty quiet and it was nice to sit and relax up there. It was quite interesting to see that some of them were or tracks and could be moved if they needed to be. The track went quite a way into the distance but we didn’t really have time to follow it.

Enjoy the pics

DSC_1717_zps4yhgrmnb.jpg

DSC_1713_zpsriicqke0.jpg

DSC_1690_zpsf4y13oig.jpg

DSC_1688_zpsac0r3pzy.jpg

DSC_1687_zpsxz1hdts1.jpg

DSC_1681_zpsrgd8kaxq.jpg

DSC_1674_zpsrvcx2asg.jpg

DSC_1673_zpskkuuyw75.jpg

DSC_1668_zpsejwi7zqn.jpg

DSC_1665_zpsq9fk4rfu.jpg

DSC_1663_zpsw9afqjfd.jpg

DSC_1655_zpsbyavsa7f.jpg

DSC_1654_zps7snbhjgp.jpg

DSC_1650_zps5qb4lsul.jpg

DSC_1643_zpswrhoef8s.jpg

DSC_1634_zpspda3lbqw.jpg

DSC_1625_zpskzjxteoq.jpg

DSC_1620_zpsty95nfdh.jpg

DSC_1618_zpsntdgfpiw.jpg

DSC_1613_zpsenna0v5w.jpg

DSC_1601_zpsjdaj4xol.jpg

DSC_1596_zpsrea5altp.jpg

DSC_1595_zpseo24r7aq.jpg

DSC_1593_zpsjy6nn0e4.jpg

Awesome stuff! I was just expecting to see a sunset / sunrise report over the dark dishes, was as pleasant surprise.
Excellent shots, I don't think I've seen close uups of these before!
Thanks for sharing :)

Very nice. Glad you climbed them, I would have had no idea of scale otherwise, they're bigger than they look!

We know they were still in use and wondered what pics they got while we were sat in one lol

This is a great location, I've taken a few shots here myself, still very much in use. Tread carefully..

Latest posts

Back