The Workhouse Cells

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubex

Guard Dog Bait
Veteran Member
Reaction score
These vagrancy cells are situated next to a Workhouse that was built in 1839 with a budget of £3,200, the cells were built sometime after. In 1930 the workhouse was reused as a Public Assistance Institution, and in 1954 became a home for the elderly housing up to 68 residents.

In 1894 the British Medical Journal conducted site visits to around 50 workhouses in England and Wales as part of a campaign to improve the nursing and medical facilities in the workhouse infirmaries. This workhouse was assessed and it was found to only have two members of staff: a master and matron, both had to nurse the sick, run the house, overlook any able-bodied residents, care for the children and admit the tramps. The sick were housed in cramped quarters within the workhouse and there was a lack of toilet and washing facilities. In the report the author also mentioned seeing an imbecile sitting by the fire and the fact a “harmless lunatic” danced up to the master to profess her great friendship for him.

I found a census of the inmates held in 1881. The list has a handicap column in which patients were described idiots, lunatics, blind, deaf and dumb. The youngest inmate I saw was 1 year old and the oldest was 86.

Unfortunately the workhouse itself is alarmed – we tried!

Thanks for looking,

Rubex

Rubex, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that two of our most intrepid nosy sods give up so easily when the solution is so simple, Instruct Mikey to get picked up on the PIR, when Secca Nick him and opens the door to check that he's on his own slip in have good nose about, chances are he'd be out in six months or so.

Nicely Done Rubex, Most Enjoyable, Thanks

Great set rubex and I loved this one.it. Was nice and different..oh and smiler guess who had the job of going in a testing the alarms out the group of us.i lasted about a min before the loudest alarm went off ha ha

Rubex, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that two of our most intrepid nosy sods give up so easily when the solution is so simple, Instruct Mikey to get picked up on the PIR, when Secca Nick him and opens the door to check that he's on his own slip in have good nose about, chances are he'd be out in six months or so.

Nicely Done Rubex, Most Enjoyable, Thanks

That's a brilliant idea Smiler :laugh:

Fantastic stuff....that place IS history. I'm guessing it's not those in Melton M...

No HughieD, these are not the ones in Melton. Personally I think these ones are a lot better and easier to photograph because there is more natural light :)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :)

No HughieD, these are not the ones in Melton. Personally I think these ones are a lot better and easier to photograph because there is more natural light :)

Aah, that explains it then. I was wondering.

Would be great to see you guys at our gathering on the 30th if you can make it.

Nice photos and a nice bit of history to boot.. The harmful lunatic bit had me chuckling. Are you sure that wasn't you Rubex?

Another great report and pics and a nice bit of history

Latest posts

Back