Pig Research Centre, Stotfold January 2016

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsp77

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
UK pig research centre at Stotfold closed Jul 17, 2007

History

The pig centre of research and development at Stotfold will close it doors because it doesn't fit into the new perspective of BPEX anymore. BPEX Director of Pig Industry Development Mark Wilson is sad to see it go. "Stotfold has been a huge asset to the industry over the years".

The UK pig industries Development Unit , this was opened by Lord Belstead, Minister of State (Lords), Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods in November 1984. Over the years it has undergone many changes but has always been at the forefront of research firmly aimed at delivery of practical opportunities, work which could be quickly disseminated and implemented on working pig farms.

At its peak the unit employed 10 staff and had 300 sows farrow to finish. However major changes in the industry and a fundamental shift in the strategy of the British Pig Executive (BPEX) meant it was no longer needed and over the last six months has been gradually wound down.

Research over the years
Over the years, the work at Stotfold has included:
- Introduction of soya bean meal to pig diets
- Copper sulphate as a growth promoter
- Evaluation of commercial genotypes for sow productivity, growth
- Performance and carcase and meat quality (Stotfold First Trial)
- Development of ultrasound technology for carcase composition
- Blueprint for pig meat eating quality
- Stotfold sow lactation feeding strategy
- Phase-feeding - protein requirements of commercial genotypes
- Established speed of growth and pork tenderness were positively
correlated
- Liquid feeding offers savings of 14p/kg dead weight
- Liquid feeding halves the percentage of pigs testing positive for Salmonella at slaughter

Explore

I visited this site alone, had a good 3 hours or so wondering around the various sheds, barns and buildings.
I never realised just how big this site was.

anyway on with the photos,

1_zpsznfrkqy0.jpg

3_zpslt8cbgv4.jpg

4_zpsmajynsnc.jpg

5_zpsu8c5gc7o.jpg

5a_zps5h2bkxnl.jpg

6_zpsy33nyrup.jpg

8_zpswmlkq5wa.jpg

9_zpsnqgcslio.jpg

11_zpsuseevdax.jpg

12_zpsbsfo3lrq.jpg

15_zpsezafgxyq.jpg

17_zpsbhpy0c6m.jpg

18_zpsdghasab0.jpg

19_zpsutjztqtf.jpg

23_zpsjyselck6.jpg

33_zps7cvwacta.jpg

35_zpsw5rfzkfs.jpg

38_zpsc4bt0n2a.jpg

40_zps8gvbtjvl.jpg

42_zpszhgdeppm.jpg

60_zps9ciebdoy.jpg

In the last week or so there has been a new fence put up, so this may not be around for long.

Thanks for looking.

Now thats what i call a pig tail(tale) - really enjoyed that thank you - i would not name this location as someone is bound to squeal - lol sorry

Latest posts

Back