The remains of Pugh's farm, Glyncorrwg

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewdrop

Reaction score
After spending one of those mornings where you pore over a map, trying to decide where to wander, I thought I might visit my old favourite Nant-Y-Bar farm (searchable) in the Afan valley. It's a preserved longhouse and I just find it has such a tranquil feel.

For some reason, I changed my mind and traced a little route right in a top corner of the valley that I hadn't been before. It said waterfalls on the map, and that was all I was expecting to see. I headed up right up on to Rhigos range where what used to be quiet pine paths has been replaced with a bit of a building site for wind turbines, although I do like them too. Following on the map back towards Glyncorrwg what was marked as a bridle path but which I ought to have known to mean 'terrible deep fur-roughs of mud, brambles and at times totally indistinct from trees and ditches', I was expecting to pass through a working farm.

27292046483_d4160a4c9e_o.jpgIMG_0698 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

I was DELIGHTED to discover a totally derpy derp in the trees - a bog of wonder! Not anyway near as big or nicely preserved as Nant-y-Bar but lovely in it's own completely overgrown way.

27292446164_9f4c734fc9_o.jpgIMG_0703 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

Just a couple of beams and window lintels still visible.

27292046393_07147ddab2_o.jpgIMG_0700 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

27869917036_cfc61ba8f7_o.jpgIMG_0704 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

And a couple of chimney stacks

Oh and a car in what could have been a garage!

27904872475_8ecbdb4d5c_o.jpgIMG_0710 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

I couldn't actually get to the gate where the bridle way was supposed to continue, but after a bit of a muddy scramble I came to a track.

27292047493_7bcb11e85a_c.jpgIMG_0714 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

And I was just thinking, how long has that farm been abandoned? Must have been decades to have so many big trees growing through it. And to my dismay (not my own mystery house after all) and as a kind answer to my question I came to an info board. So there you have it.

27803509002_1017e0d984_o.jpgIMG_0716 by sebra trewin, on Flickr

Very nice report, I do like 'Real' decay! I seriously doubt that any of the vehicle wreckage has anything to do with the working farm; because, as the info board states, the farm was abandoned in the 1920's. However that is not to say that there are not the remains of vehicles dating from the late 40's or early MOT days on the site, opportunistic dumps on areas/land like this can be full of surprises. Judging by the wing mirror fixing and the arial mount, the blue painted front wing dates around the late 60's/70's - I should recognise the top mounted side light and the curved metal work over same, but memory fails at moment.

Nice pics; very atmospheric. I'd say the car's a mid-sixties Hillman Minx or Super Minx judging by the distinctibve shape of the light unit(anorak mode)

Nice pics; very atmospheric. I'd say the car's a mid-sixties Hillman Minx or Super Minx judging by the distinctibve shape of the light unit(anorak mode)

I concur. The Roots group Hillman Minx and super minx changed body shape to what was to become the hunter in 1968 as I recall. I had both models in my time - even have the badge from my 1969 model... I really need my medication.

Back