The chapel on the hill..scotland

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymutt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Whilst on holiday in Scotland me and missy were travelling around looking at touristy sites.we spotted this chapel perched on a hill in the middle of nowhere.so we went to investigate.we spotted a car up the drive on the hill.and a man standing there.so we carried on anyway.we got chatting to the guy.and he told us that he had now bought it and was doing it up.we got chatting to him loads and he was telling us all about it and how he was local and always wanted to own it and now he did.he had just spent two weeks just clearing the scrub around it.and said it was going to take several years to complete.he said he was willing for us to take photos and even asked if we wanted stuff moved but we were happy.there was a lot in there.i have seen pics since of the place when it was in a derelict state and most of the stuff was in there still then.thank you to the owner for letting us in and to photograph it and to take the time to talk to us for ages.a real nice genuine hard working guy.and I wish him well in his task.not got any history on it.it was built in the early 1800's and prob served as the chapel for the local crofts.

image_zpsdcbowmvc.jpg

image_zpsuuf71l04.jpg

image_zpswercmici.jpg

image_zps5l4z8hoe.jpg

image_zpslglymtjp.jpg

image_zps9nkbv7sj.jpg

image_zpsswhztbmt.jpg

image_zpshghvf2mz.jpg

image_zpswuft4hxq.jpg

That is stunning, that opening shot is a work of art. I loved that set, thanks for sharing.

Lovely place isn't it Mickey? It's nice when you find the owner and he is willing to give you information and help, makes the find something special. Fifty odd years ago when we started wandering around the many large country houses abandoned after military usage, it was always nice to find a local who could tell you the proper history of the place and point out some of the hidden structures. I hope the new owner manages to get the place weather and waterproof before the onset of winter - bit fierce up there in January!

Very nice set of images here. Seem to remember that one of the windows has a dedication on it that points to the build or dedication date.

It is certainly a beautiful place.there was a small dedication etched in the window.but I could not quite read what it said.I was shocked when starting this how many manor houses were taken over during the war.and used mainly for officer use.there is a hall near guist here in Norfolk.it has two pillboxes near it.nothing of any military interest nearby.just the hall.so I guess it was aqquired for military use.the new owner of the church is very local so is use to the weather.his first job he said is to get the roof sealed tight.I hope he his reading this as I passed the forum name and username on to him.the girlfriend has his email anyway.I have met several owners and them explores have been the most informative explores of all.nothing better than hearing it from the mouth rather than just googling stuff

Mickey; delving into the military history of Norfolk and Suffolk is very revealing when you centre it on the country houses that were around in 1938. Having relatives living in Lavenham with similar interests helps no end! Being born when I was, I can remember in my early cycling days coming across quite a few large houses that were in the process of demolition after being released back by the War Office - mostly taken over for the large amounts of land available in the estates for troop training etc, the vacated houses - still full of the owners belongings were soon stripped of all 'firewood' by the troops encamped on the land. When released back to the owners, many were just bulldozed complete with contents. As in the case of the ones left to decay after the first World War, in many instances sons and heirs had perished in the war or were just unable to return to that type of life after the traumas of service. I suppose your pillboxes were all part of the 'defence in depth' that sprang up in these Counties and others around this bit of England's coastline.

i visited here back in the summer. The chapel was used in the 1980s film "Local Hero"

Search for Polnish or our Lady of The Braes for more info :)

Latest posts

Back