The Borstal, Scotland - January 2018

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Visited with HiddenScotsman for a long overdue catch up and explore. We reckon its been a good 10-12 years since we last saw each other! Not much has changed, we still like knocking about in places we are not supposed to be in, but now we have cameras!

Full credit to HiddenScotsman for this find. I don't know the history because I have forgotten the name so can't look it up!

q21oIdTh.jpg

8DrjUoVh.jpg

hjq7lEyh.jpg

HtS5hQEh.jpg

8Ks4innh.jpg

ND4Yboyh.jpg

VWTG71Xh.jpg

UWAmSpNh.jpg

9511cvFh.jpg

I2HrkK7h.jpg

Ejkmqf2h.jpg

VaBC2dRh.jpg

dxJVZE1h.jpg

sq8Kkuzh.jpg

bKA90Qlh.jpg

Gxa0CKhh.jpg

hPpgzMhh.jpg

D2Ey99ph.jpg

oaDPKzRh.jpg

nDtQOGYh.jpg

ikYLQkPh.jpg

tGlIovxh.jpg

oeJovP9h.jpg

cIBIiNih.jpg

There were lots of empty rooms like this, but I only snapped one as they were all pretty much the same:

mfvQXRsh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice set of images. However just one point - I would be very careful about showing case and incident references, photographs etc, in a report on this place. I know 2005 is a long time ago, but just because it states one room has been cleared, does not mean stuff was not missed. Back when I was working; a long disused solicitor's store room in a building that was slowly being run down and closed (prior to demolition), was ransacked by the local youth. Unfortunately a couple or so documents got into the wrong hands and this caused quite a rumpus and embarrassment to families that had long gone 'straight'. One cannot be too careful.

Nice set of images. However just one point - I would be very careful about showing case and incident references, photographs etc, in a report on this place. I know 2005 is a long time ago, but just because it states one room has been cleared, does not mean stuff was not missed. Back when I was working; a long disused solicitor's store room in a building that was slowly being run down and closed (prior to demolition), was ransacked by the local youth. Unfortunately a couple or so documents got into the wrong hands and this caused quite a rumpus and embarrassment to families that had long gone 'straight'. One cannot be too careful.

I have removed the one with the name, that wasn't supposed to get posted! I have left out quite a few pics. The photographs are from a video they were producing. Think that is still too much? Cheers for the nudge, trying to get all my reports up before I get booted out my flat so that was a result of me posting in a hurry!

Thanks for positive reply and taking my comment as it was meant to be taken. The pictures are OK and sorry for your 'flat' problems!

Full credit to me not hidden Scotsman ������ great pics though. Jaggy jumpers ��

Nice pics and report in general! Love seeing abandoned places in the snow. What exactly is this place? - I was guessing some sort of science school then I saw the police thing?

There's still a bunch of pics with full names, would you mind removing or blurring them please? =/

Really interesting report though, thanks for posting it.

Nice pics and report in general! Love seeing abandoned places in the snow. What exactly is this place? - I was guessing some sort of science school then I saw the police thing?

A borstal was basically a prison for young offenders. There's more to it than that but that's basically it.

There's still a bunch of pics with full names, would you mind removing or blurring them please? =/

Really interesting report though, thanks for posting it.

Ah fuck sorry mate, like I said to Dirus, posting in a hurry before I get turfed out my flat. I'll remove them sorry! I had about 10 more pics not to post and a few slipped the net. Will remove, don't have time to blur and re upload!

Ah fuck sorry mate, like I said to Dirus, posting in a hurry before I get turfed out my flat. I'll remove them sorry! I had about 10 more pics not to post and a few slipped the net. Will remove, don't have time to blur and re upload!
No worries dude. Turfed out as in evicted??

Done! I was just looking at the character names for the video or play they were doing, totally overlooked the sensitive info. Really sorry about that. Thanks for the second nudge today! :(

No worries dude. Turfed out as in evicted??

Err... yeah pretty much. H fucked off with lover boy and has left me £1k outta pocket so cant pay my full rent. Landlord has been sound considering, but its a total fucking mess. All good, turns out she has bailiffs after her so my £1k seems like pocket change to her problems!

Full credit to me not hidden Scotsman ������ great pics though. Jaggy jumpers ��

Christ how many times do I need to edit this report haha! Ok fine, you told him about it. He showed me it. I got us in! :D

A borstal was basically a prison for young offenders. There's more to it than that but that's basically it.

The one local to my home town seemed to be staffed by some very enlightened people. I am ever grateful for failing my 'Eleven Plus', going to Secondary School housed in a brand new building with brilliant science teachers and science facilities; because at sixteen this allowed me to rethink what I wanted to do and take 'O' and 'A' level GCE's at the local Tech College and eventually a degree. On the first day of our 'A' level course we were joined by a tall lad, dressed in the best Borstal two piece, grey suit. He had found a very simple way of producing half crown coin blanks from Devarda's Alloy, which he used to empty the local fag machines - selling the fags for real money in the local pubs etc! The staff persuaded him not to open his own mint and he found a job locally when he was released from supervision and finished his studies. I get a feeling that level of help and guidance is not there for today's young offenders - probably wrong as it always takes 'two to tango', but one does wonder. As HJ says, very sad places if the young inmates are not being helped to stay out of trouble.

Latest posts

Back