Cooper`s Woodside Abattoir, Crich, October 2008

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodeavens

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Woodside Abattoir, Crich, opened in 1976, it belonged to Alan Dakin Ltd. At some point in time between 1976 and when I first worked there in 1997, ownership transferred to Harry Cooper (Butchers) Ltd. As far as I can remember, Cooper`s must have stopped trading sometime around 1999 / 2000. Until fairly recently the bold blue Harry Cooper (Butchers) Ltd sign, on the front of the building, could be seen clearly, at the top of the drive, from the road, it is now well hidden behind trees.

Coopers2WestEnd028.jpg

Sale sign found in the grass at the bottom of the drive

CoopersViewupdrivefrontovergrown.jpg

View up the drive

CoopersLoadingbay2.jpg

Loading bay

Coopersstairstoofficesdoortoslaught.jpg

Entrance stairs to offices & Staff Only door to Slaughter hall

Coopers3002.jpg

Switches under the stairs

Coopers3003.jpg

Coopersmeatinspectorsoffice1.jpg

Meat Inspectors Office
once the staff canteen

Coopersmeatinspectorsoffice2.jpg

There is very little left inside the main slaughter hall (no lights!) apart from the legging stand and part of the knocking box, everything else including the rails, were auctioned off. Hatch through to gut room (just to left of centre) gutting stand gone. Next to the hatch is the Passageway through to slaughterman`s mess room

CoopersCrichOctober2008007.jpg

Coopers2WestEnd005.jpg

Cattle legging stand, cattle blood trough behind

Coopers2WestEnd002.jpg

What`s left of the cattle knocking box

Cooperspigroom.jpg

Pig hall, pig tank gone, pig stun pen on
the left with pig lairage beyond

CoopersCrichOctober2008025.jpg

On the front yard

Coopers2WestEnd007.jpg

Cattle lairage

Coopers2WestEnd016.jpg

Ramp to first floor sheep lairage

Coopers3015.jpg

Central bay of sheep lairage

Coopers3011.jpg

Sheep race, entrance to stunning pen

Coopers-Rollers.jpg

Bottom of sheep race, far left and stunning pen door, steps gone, view from inspection area

Coopers-NotManyMoreNowHaHa.jpg

Part of inspection area & entrance to fridges & loading bay

Coopersloadingbay3.jpg

Loading bay

Coopers2WestEnd026.jpg

Lairage man`s cottage, now derelict, to the side of loading bay

Coopers2WestEnd013.jpg

Back yard

Last edited:
Well, I eat meat, but the sight of those killing rooms has seriously jeopardised my carnivore lifestyle.

Cooper`s

I must admit it does look a lot grimmer now than it did when it was up and running

Pity you couldn't photograph the machinary. I must say, it isn't the most pleasant sight though.

There is something somehow nasty about seeing that lol, i always thought it would take a lot to phase me, but the descriptions of all those stunning pens and blood urghhhh lol. Brilliant write up and pictures :)

This place has moved me one step closer to giving up meat pies. :sick:

An odd question but did the place smell? You know - from any animal fluids etc? Just curious!

Hi Looloo, a legging stand is where the feet are removed and removal of the hide (from the hind legs) begins, then the carcase is transferred from the bleed rail onto the main rail for further processing. A knocking box is the start of the whole process, where humane stunning takes place, I hope that`s not too much information for you, I kept it brief. It really is all done humanely. Cheers, concretegarden

Many thanks for the positive feedback, urbtography . Cheers, concretegarden

Mmmmm 'condemned meat'..... :p

There's something about these places....

Hi sausage, what smell there is, you soon get used to. It really is all done hygienically. The state of the place now is a world removed from how it was when it was up and running. Cheers, concretegarden

Hi zimbob, 'condemned meat' , is that which is deemed unfit for human consumption. Cheers, concretegarden

I was in a modern but abandoned abattoir earlier in the year, and there was definitely a stench of death about the place...
Put me off eating meat ever again even more.

I visited this place with my dad, (concretegarden) found it very interesting :)

Well, I eat meat, but the sight of those killing rooms has seriously jeopardised my carnivore lifestyle.

Same here. I am filled with deep sadness. :cry: Can't believe that it is humane. The animals must have sensed and smelt death as they were herded in. Good report though, I don't think I could ever do an abatoire. The place does look really grim!

Latest posts

Back