Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rowley Green House, Barnet August 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    2,637
    Thanked
    7546

    Default Rowley Green House, Barnet August 2019


    Thought I'd put this one up as it's kind of out there now, and no longer doable to the best of my current knowledge.

    The house would appear to be early 20th Century built in a mock tudor style, it's a strange place as it looks as if it was kind of half cleared out after the last resident passed away but then was left with a load of stuff still in it. The family who lived here were heavily into world travel, they did annual rallies to Africa and owned at least one large yacht, as well as an Allard P1 which is an exceptionally rare, valuable car. The house was put up for sale in April and subsequently sold, but to who I don't know - the house is suffering from some severe subsidence at one end so the likely plan is demolition and a new build put in place.

    The house was sealed up a matter of hours after I visited, and the alarms reactivated - I found a callout sheet from a security firm left inside who were called out with the keyholders and the police to come see what was going on, dated two days before my own visit which was a little unnerving.

    As far as houses go it is definitely the best one I have shot all year, and up there in my favourite overall residential properties.















































    Thanks for looking :)
    My Flickr

    Pseudomerican

  2. Thanks given by: banshee, dewdrop, etc100, Hugh Jorgan, HughieD, Ipcre55, KJurbex, KPUrban_, krela, Mearing, Mikeymutt, MrGruffy, noiseboy72, old git, prettyvacant71, Sausage, smiler
  3.  
     
  4. #2
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Location
    People's Republic of South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    4,815
    Thanked
    9494

    Default


    Timing is everything and you grasped your window of opportunity. Great report Mook.

  5. Thanks given by: theartist
  6. #3
    Join Date
    August 2015
    Posts
    1
    Thanked
    1

    Default


    This house was owned by the actor Trevor Howard (Mutiny on the Bounty/Brief Encounter/The Third Man) and his wife Helen Cherry (Flippers new adventure/Charge of the Light Brigade). They bought the house in 1950. He died in 1988, she in 2001. They had no children. Sad that it's been empty for so long. But very happy to see your excellent post and pics.

  7. Thanks given by: mookster
  8. #4
    Join Date
    June 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Thanked
    1900

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Wixxy View Post
    This house was owned by the actor Trevor Howard (Mutiny on the Bounty/Brief Encounter/The Third Man) and his wife Helen Cherry (Flippers new adventure/Charge of the Light Brigade). They bought the house in 1950. He died in 1988, she in 2001. They had no children. Sad that it's been empty for so long. But very happy to see your excellent post and pics.
    & where well known for their exotic parties, hence some unusual items stashed in the corner here ;-)
    What the hell am I doing, I mean really at my age!

  9. #5
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    1,442
    Thanked
    209

    Default


    I can't see those exotic items stashed in a corner? Whips? Chains?? Logs??

    What a gorgeous throw back that place is. The library corner is like something shown in a 1970s catalogue shoot. The colours, everything is perfect for that decade.
    Must admit to thinking it was still occupied until I got to the photo with ceiling damage.
    Excellent work that. As said, your window was spot on. Thanks for sharing.
    Full of meaty goodness.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    June 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Thanked
    1900

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    I can't see those exotic items stashed in a corner? Whips? Chains?? Logs??

    What a gorgeous throw back that place is. The library corner is like something shown in a 1970s catalogue shoot. The colours, everything is perfect for that decade.
    Must admit to thinking it was still occupied until I got to the photo with ceiling damage.
    Excellent work that. As said, your window was spot on. Thanks for sharing.
    Yep there was whips & tickling sticks in there but u had to search for them.
    What the hell am I doing, I mean really at my age!

  11. #7
    Join Date
    February 2008
    Location
    Rawdon Leeds
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanked
    1562

    Default


    Nice images. The Allard P1 was actually a bloody great lump - rare now because most were scrapped as MOT failures, but cheap to buy in my early motoring days. But back in those days; in a period when new modern cars were expensive and in short supply, the 20's/30's classics of today were both cheap and numerous. One just had to walk round the back of any dealer and wave a few fivers around! Yes; I do wish I had stashed away some of the cars me and my mate resurrected for a bit of summer fun, back in those days.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    2,637
    Thanked
    7546

    Default


    The house was lived in for some time after Trevor Howard and Helen Cherry as it's only been empty a couple of years or so at the most - some of the rally memorabilia, badges etc were dated up to 2016. So I don't think some of the ideas given about the famous previous owners are terribly accurate
    My Flickr

    Pseudomerican

  13. #9
    Join Date
    June 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Thanked
    1900

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    The house was lived in for some time after Trevor Howard and Helen Cherry as it's only been empty a couple of years or so at the most - some of the rally memorabilia, badges etc were dated up to 2016. So I don't think some of the ideas given about the famous previous owners are terribly accurate
    Yeah Tim Baker was last owner but its entirely possible he was a friend who was left it as they were childless.
    There was more than one item in there with Helen's name on it so its hard to believe he was someone who didnt know them to leave that there,
    What the hell am I doing, I mean really at my age!

  14. Thanks given by: mookster
  15. #10
    Join Date
    October 2013
    Posts
    3,069
    Thanked
    11566

    Default


    That's a beauty mate. You really struck lucky
    I like to go where others fear to tread.

  16. Thanks given by: mookster

Similar Threads

  1. Lower Balls Green Mine - January 2019
    By Newage in forum Underground Sites
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th Mar 19, 13:29
  2. Norbert Dentressangle Rowley Depot site.
    By Last hope. in forum Industrial Sites
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24th Dec 15, 10:14
  3. Little Green House, Belgium - August 2014
    By Stussy in forum Overseas Sites
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 4th Nov 14, 17:59
  4. Nurses' Quarters, Barnet General Hospital, February 2008
    By RedDave in forum Hospitals & Asylums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19th Feb 12, 22:50
  5. Edwin Richards Quarry, Rowley Regis, May 2011
    By TranKmasT in forum Industrial Sites
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th May 11, 00:12

About us
DerelictPlaces is a forum for people with an interest in the history and documentation of disused, derelict and abandoned buildings to come together and share their experiences, photography and historical findings. Our military, industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing, and often through simple neglect; Our aim is to document these places before they disappear entirely.
Follow us