Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Gurney's, November 2019

  1. #1
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    114
    Thanked
    217

    Default Gurney's, November 2019


    Gurney's, November 2019

    This was an interesting explore of a Grade 2 listed farmhouse; although I feared for my life on the top deck!

    I can't really find any history on this place, but it's a big shame that it's been left to decay like this; I think it's past saving now.


    1.


    2.


    3.


    4.


    5.


    6.


    7.


    8.


    9.


    10.


    11.


    12.


    13.


    14.




    15.

  2. Thanks given by: etc100, Hugh Jorgan, Mearing, MrGruffy, noiseboy72, One eyed Spaniel, paul.richards.up, robbie1003, rockfordstone, Sausage
  3.  
     
  4. #2
    Join Date
    June 2014
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanked
    2029

    Default


    Jees, yes u are braver than me! what a lovely looking building though thanks for documenting this!
    What the hell am I doing, I mean really at my age!

  5. Thanks given by: ocelot397, theartist
  6. #3
    Join Date
    April 2008
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanked
    224

    Default


    One sneeze and you're gone!
    A cute building and listed too - we're losing a lot of listed buildings but with many, such as this one, I don't know what the answer would be.
    I do know that I couldn't live there - I'm just too big for the place!
    Nice interesting bits still laid about too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Full of meaty goodness.

  7. Thanks given by: ocelot397
  8. #4
    Join Date
    June 2014
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanked
    2029

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Sausage View Post
    One sneeze and you're gone!
    A cute building and listed too - we're losing a lot of listed buildings but with many, such as this one, I don't know what the answer would be.
    I do know that I couldn't live there - I'm just too big for the place!
    Nice interesting bits still laid about too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I amazed thats listed but as you say what happens when it inevitably falls down!
    incidentally I love the way the horseshoe survives above the entrance although it dosent appear to of brought it much luck!
    What the hell am I doing, I mean really at my age!

  9. #5
    Join Date
    February 2008
    Location
    Rawdon Leeds
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,814
    Thanked
    1573

    Default


    A typical two edged sword here - Listing has stopped the place being raised to the ground, but is also responsible for the ruination we now see here. This is because the 'modifications' allowed under the present Listing, are too restricted to allow this place to be a viable home. Never mind the location! For structures like this we really need a new category of listing that allows sympathetic restoration and modifications - after all; the place will have been altered over the years prior to listing. The person who drew up the listing documents should have been sacked! I know many people think that the abandonment of listed buildings; by their owners, is deliberate - if they do not get their own way with their alteration planning applications. In some cases this is true, but in many cases, what is 'allowed' does not produce a structure that meets modern domestic living. Also it is worth remembering that the Authorities can force an owner to rebuild a Listed Building to its original design, if they just let it collapse.

  10. Thanks given by: ocelot397
  11. #6
    Join Date
    January 2013
    Posts
    114
    Thanked
    217

    Default


    Well, the paddock at the back has been cleared recently. so perhaps there may be some movement on that front?

    Although, as Dirus says, it may be hard to do make anything of it due to listing restrictions; at 6'2" I couldn't stand upright on the bottom floor!

    Regardless, it's a very photogenic little site and I'm happy with the way the photos turned out considering the flat light conditions!

  12. #7
    Join Date
    February 2015
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,502
    Thanked
    1613

    Default


    Looks like it was a cosy little cottage at one time. Christmas and birthdays were celebrated there at one time. The cabinet in the last picture looks like a tea cabinet, but I could be (and usually I am) wrong.
    When the going gets tough - the tough get going.

  13. #8
    Join Date
    October 2019
    Posts
    8
    Thanked
    4

    Default


    How sad. It upsets me to see once loved and lived in homes going to rack and ruin.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    September 2009
    Posts
    19
    Thanked
    5

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirus_Strictus View Post
    A typical two edged sword here - Listing has stopped the place being raised to the ground, but is also responsible for the ruination we now see here. This is because the 'modifications' allowed under the present Listing, are too restricted to allow this place to be a viable home. Never mind the location! For structures like this we really need a new category of listing that allows sympathetic restoration and modifications - after all; the place will have been altered over the years prior to listing. The person who drew up the listing documents should have been sacked! I know many people think that the abandonment of listed buildings; by their owners, is deliberate - if they do not get their own way with their alteration planning applications. In some cases this is true, but in many cases, what is 'allowed' does not produce a structure that meets modern domestic living. Also it is worth remembering that the Authorities can force an owner to rebuild a Listed Building to its original design, if they just let it collapse.
    It’s a shame to see such a quaint wee house so ruinous. However, you’re not correct regarding the implications for the building of its listing (nb I haven’t been able to check if it is in fact listed; there doesn’t appear to be a Gurney’s farm/house/farmhouse on Historic England’s register). If it is, I don’t see how you can state that the listing is responsible for the building’s present state of ruination. It’s impossible to say without visiting the site whether it would have been viable or possible to reinstate it for human habitation, so you simply cannot assert what modifications would be required to render it habitable again, and thus whether they’d be acceptable to the relevant authorities. I’ve dealt with many hundreds of listed buildings over the years and the great majority have been perfectly capable of sympathetic adaptation to modern uses without conflicting with their listed status or compromising their inherent architectural and/or historic qualities. In saying that the “person who drew up the listing documents should have been sacked”, you clearly misunderstand the procedures and criteria for listing (see relevant Historic England guidance). Finally, it’s very rare for a local authority to “force an owner to rebuild a listed building”. It did occur when the Carlton Tavern in Kilburn was demolished without LBC some years ago, and the owners were required to rebuild following enforcement action by the LPA and dismissal of a subsequent planning appeal, but such instances are very unusual.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    June 2014
    Posts
    1,194
    Thanked
    2029

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by ryedale rodent View Post
    It’s a shame to see such a quaint wee house so ruinous. However, you’re not correct regarding the implications for the building of its listing (nb I haven’t been able to check if it is in fact listed; there doesn’t appear to be a Gurney’s farm/house/farmhouse on Historic England’s register). If it is, I don’t see how you can state that the listing is responsible for the building’s present state of ruination. It’s impossible to say without visiting the site whether it would have been viable or possible to reinstate it for human habitation, so you simply cannot assert what modifications would be required to render it habitable again, and thus whether they’d be acceptable to the relevant authorities. I’ve dealt with many hundreds of listed buildings over the years and the great majority have been perfectly capable of sympathetic adaptation to modern uses without conflicting with their listed status or compromising their inherent architectural and/or historic qualities. In saying that the “person who drew up the listing documents should have been sacked”, you clearly misunderstand the procedures and criteria for listing (see relevant Historic England guidance). Finally, it’s very rare for a local authority to “force an owner to rebuild a listed building”. It did occur when the Carlton Tavern in Kilburn was demolished without LBC some years ago, and the owners were required to rebuild following enforcement action by the LPA and dismissal of a subsequent planning appeal, but such instances are very unusual.
    I think the point Dirus is making is that listing "makes things awkward".
    If you owned this building when it was habitable but starting to deteriorate & know it prob has a low market value would you be prepared to jump through the hoops & pay higher prices listing requires?
    Yes listing is good but even the length of process to make amendments would put a lot off buying a listed property.
    As you state its rare that you would be made to rebuild if a collapse happens so why not just wait for the inevitable collapse to happen.
    Or maybe a case of "oops I let the trainee have a go on the digger & look what happened" would be the more cost effective solution.
    Look at the lovely St Josephs for example, sure its listed but they cant force the owner to spend the huge amounts required to preserve it so its slowly falling in on itself, in instances like this the listing is worthless!
    What the hell am I doing, I mean really at my age!

  16. Thanks given by: Dirus_Strictus, Sausage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th Nov 19, 22:38
  2. Brokenbury Cottage, November 2019
    By urbexdevil in forum Residential Sites
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th Nov 19, 12:51
  3. Barrow Gurney
    By deesgtc in forum Hospitals & Asylums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 1st Oct 14, 20:18
  4. Barrow Gurney Mental Hospital
    By Greenhill_no1 in forum Hospitals & Asylums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11th Nov 13, 09:44
  5. Barrow Gurney Hospital, August '11
    By mookster in forum Hospitals & Asylums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th Aug 11, 11:43

About us
DerelictPlaces is a forum for people with an interest in the history and documentation of disused, derelict and abandoned buildings to come together and share their experiences, photography and historical findings. Our military, industrial and historical heritage is fast disappearing under the pressure of regeneration, the need for new housing, and often through simple neglect; Our aim is to document these places before they disappear entirely.
Follow us