North Walsham / Dilham Canal WW1 and WW2 Defences

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home Guard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Me and Black Shuck ventured into the great outdoors in search of the hardly documented defences that run along the North Walsham stretch of the canal.

DSC_0105.jpg

We met up at the bacton road pillboxes, we took a quick look at the fine examples of WW1 pillboxes either side of the road (there was also some good slit trenches in the trees next to them).
And there were plenty of these lying around which look like original ww2.

DSC_0104.jpg

We then walked to the type 22 pillbox about 100yards to the east, this is what we found faintly pencilled on the inside wall after 60 odd years.

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

And then nestled in a mound off holly, i showed BS the local home guard shelter, which had a lovely little fireplace and some markings on the wall which looked like they were from the 1940's.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

After showing BS the bacton road sites, we went down to the happisburgh road near ebridge mill and had a look at the type 22 pillbox completely hidden in ivy.

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Last but not least was the Vickers machine gun emplacement, this was in poor condition.:( There were metal rods on the roof which were apparently from a wooden hut used for aircraft spotting, thanks to being on a really large hill.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

Weapon Mounts.
DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

Views from the embrasures.
DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

Thanks Mate, that was a good afternoon. :)

Last edited:
Good work lads !!!
Love the home guard shelter (have never seen one yet !!).There is also something special about finding original graffiti-notice how it is always written with a pencil and also how the handwriting styles seems to have changed in sixty odd years,however it is usually unreadable !!Nice one keep it up !!

I wouldnt say they were totally better mate but it was a pleasure to meet you this avo, here we go then as Home Guard said there are some wonderful looking defences that I didnt even know existed! Jonney and Cpties please ensure you are wearing full Dribble and Drool Suits when viewing, Jonney don your Rubber Pants as well First up on Bacton Road near North Walsham a WW1 Pillbox, yes another! Then just round the back in the woods, a Home Guard Shelter complete with 1940S Grafitti! Right thats more than enough from the Home Guard Shelter, from here we went on to a Vickers Machine Gun Emplacement on a High Ridge outside the Ebridge Mill Valley, a very prominent position, so the Machine Gun must have had a huge Shooting arc! Look at this Jonney! Machine Gun Mounts still in Place! How rare is this? This is a view down the North Walsham and Dilham Canal.. Next we visited one of the most Rare Pillboxes I have ever seen! A World War1 Semi Circular Pillbox! Tis is probably one of its type in existence and I was very priveleged to visit it, complete with Blast Doors too! Thanks for looking and comments appreciated!

Fantastic!!!

I do love the home guard shelter. There is the remains of one buried under the sand dunes near the old clubhouse on Peterhead golf course. It was roofless when I were a nipper. Still had the iron window frames in though.

If I could remember exactly where, I'd be tempted to pay a visit with a shovel. :p

Fantastic!!!

I do love the home guard shelter. There is the remains of one buried under the sand dunes near the old clubhouse on Peterhead golf course. It was roofless when I were a nipper. Still had the iron window frames in though.

If I could remember exactly where, I'd be tempted to pay a visit with a shovel. :p

Youd be Welcome Seahorse!

Foooooooking awesome guys that ww1 semi circular one is just something special. I'm pleased I wore the rubber pants

Do you have many type 22s where you are?

Not all that many. There's more of a preponderance towards 24's and 28's. I was planning to go out and start my Arun- Ouse Stop line report al la Night Crawler today, but the wife toddled off to the pantomime with the kids and the F'ing camera :mad: My phone cam just won't cut it in light like todays.

Not all that many. There's more of a preponderance towards 24's and 28's. I was planning to go out and start my Arun- Ouse Stop line report al la Night Crawler today, but the wife toddled off to the pantomime with the kids and the F'ing camera :mad: My phone cam just won't cut it in light like todays.

What a bugger! I spent most of the Day taking my Niece down to Ipsshit to buy a Pussy!:lol:

Oooooh Mrs Slocombe I hope your niece plays nicely with her pussy. :mrgreen:

We'd better stop there or the pedo police will be down on us as unexpectedly as the spanish inquisition.

Oooooh Mrs Slocombe I hope your niece plays nicely with her pussy. :mrgreen:

We'd better stop there or the pedo police will be down on us as unexpectedly as the spanish inquisition.

:D:D:D:eek::eek::goofy: Indeed I think that will do, I dont want to offend anybody!

Great pictures, I do love a nice pillbox. It's funny how all the WW2 graffitti seems to have been written by the same person. If you look at the stuff in Farleigh Down Tunnel the handwriting seems almost identical.

Latest posts

Back