Verne High Angle Battery Sept 11

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptpies

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This battery was built in 1892 to protect Weymouth harbour and housed 6 high angle RML 9 inch 12 ton guns. The battery is buried in an old quarry, hiding the guns from direct fire from enemy ships but allowing them to be fired upon with a high angle trajectory. The life of the battery was short, it was decommissioned in 1906 due to more agile vessels making the slow firing guns obsolete. The site appears to have been renovated by the council in 1984 and is a short walk from a car park and open to the public. despite that I had the place almost to myself.

South end of the gun line with the entrance to one of the magazines visible.

DSCF1433 by cptpies, on Flickr

North end of the gun line. Ready ammo lockers are visible in the walls.

DSCF1435 by cptpies, on Flickr

The site was serviced by a narrow gauge rail system to transport shells to the magazines and guns. This is a turntable at the top of the front rampart. It's size would only allow one truck at a time to be switched suggesting each shell was moved on individual trucks.

DSCF1434 by cptpies, on Flickr

View south down the gun line. Rail grooves can still be seen in the ramp on the right.

DSCF1436 by cptpies, on Flickr

One of the massive holdfasts.

DSCF1441 by cptpies, on Flickr

Not sure how much renovation they did but the site is remarkably unchaved.

DSCF1444 by cptpies, on Flickr

Crew ready rooms?

DSCF1448 by cptpies, on Flickr

Da Shita

DSCF1449 by cptpies, on Flickr

View north, the turntable can be seen in the foreground.

DSCF1432 by cptpies, on Flickr

magazine entrance.

DSCF1437 by cptpies, on Flickr

Due to my lack of a torch I didn't venture in to the tunnels.

DSCF1438 by cptpies, on Flickr

DSCF1445 by cptpies, on Flickr

Crew shelter.

DSCF1440 by cptpies, on Flickr

These were around each holdfast. I assume to help move the guns for maintenance.

DSCF1442 by cptpies, on Flickr

Next time I'm back there I'll take a torch and get some internals.

Nice one captain.Was there any sign of a forward observation post.My reasoning is that they couldn't have been firing blind from the quarry and must have had some kind if spotter on the cliffs directing fire.

Nice one captain.Was there any sign of a forward observation post.My reasoning is that they couldn't have been firing blind from the quarry and must have had some kind if spotter on the cliffs directing fire.

I assume there was one on the edge of the cliff to the east but that land is a transmitter station and is all fenced off and security is evident.

Didn't have time, I was working and snuck out for an hour between arriving at Portland and dinner at the hotel. No car so had to be in walking distance.

I remember HertsDigger and his wife telling me about this when they were on holiday in the area. It's on my 'long-term to do' list so it's great to see photos of it. Good stuff. :)

Latest posts

Back