St Georges Asylum - Aug 2013

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D4RK-INS1GHT

Reaction score
Ok, so not alot of history was found on this one apart from it was built between 1853 -1859 as a Corridor Plan Asylum as the Northumberland County Pauper Lunatic Asylum. It was opened with six males and six females from Bensham Asylum in Gateshead. The asylum was built at a cost of £58,000 to house 200 patients. The doors were finally closed in 1996 and has remained empty since.

I've wanted to get his place done for sometime now and after a couple a walk abouts there, access was eventually found. With time not looking so good and with only a couple of hours at the most free, i decided to call in with a non member mate. Wont be long before im back here as everything was slightly rushed but the number 1 site to see was the view from the tower.

SGA by D4RK-INS1GHT, on Flickr

Back down the ladders we went, and onto the exit back out with some shots to get on the way . . .

And then look what we found, complete with disco ball and DJ equipment. . . .

So much for heading back out . . . time for a quick venture upstairs . . .

Back dowstairs on the west wing . . .

We were really getting pushed for time, but not without a quick visit to the basement were we happened to stumble across these . . .

Records by D4RK-INS1GHT, on Flickr

There is still so much of this place we didnt get to see. Time for a revisit i think . . .

D4RK-INS1GHT

Definitely one of the best asylums left, it shows with so few reports up from it how well it's looked after!

Latest posts

Back