Glytillery Waste Wash

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Another location during the South Wales meet. Sheep told us that not a lot is known about this building but I'm sure that he'll be able to fill in the relevant details about it.
It's quite an awe-inspiring place and you don't realise the scale of it until you're actually standing alongside it. It's massive.
Friendly and inquisitive ponies were grazing under and around it (and kept coming up to be stroked), which was a nice little bonus. :)
Here are just three of my pics.

waste03.jpg

waste01.jpg

waste02.jpg

Cheers :)

Did you manage to get inside, or is it too grim? I guess the name "waste wash" doesn't hold well with what could be inside!!!:sick:

Did you manage to get inside, or is it too grim? I guess the name "waste wash" doesn't hold well with what could be inside!!!:sick:

I've driven past, It was part of a coal washery and it would have screened coal from the local pits, Coal is crushed and washed to remove rock, dirt and other contaminants. As a wet process screening uses lots of water which then needs to be disposed of or cleaned to use again as part of a cycle as naturally the water will pick up contaminants from the coal.

The cleaned graded coal will then be loaded into wagons via a rail loading system in this case probably a tub hall. The structure that survives probably dealt with waste fluids though exactly what role it played in the screening process I am not entirely sure.

Modern coal washing is fat more thorough now than it was in the past as the customers ( power stations ) have very strict requirements about what gets burned inside. Coal may well be pulverised or fluidised as part of the perpetration process.

There's no discernable way inside at all unless you could abseil your way up to the openings somehow! :lol: On the other side there are huge tap-type valves with parts of piping. We did wonder if it's full of water or whether the valves have been left open to allow drainage.

Latest posts

Back