The `RMS Mulheim`

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole Man

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The `RMS Mulheim` ran ashore at Castle Zawn, between Sennen Cove and Land`s End, at appx 0430 on Saturday 22nd March 2003. Sennen Cove, lots of info on the net if you look.

Found this picture on the net of the ship before it started to breakup.
074162_fc295a36.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

Only been there since 2003, and it's already in bits.

Never underestimate the power of the sea. I think I need to find a boat to take me out to the Sovereign before it shares a similar fate. ;)

It must take a pounding as the waves lift it up a few feet then drop it back down on the rocks, with some of the winter storms they get down that way.

shatters in answer to your question:

The RMS Mulheim was carrying a cargo of 2,200 tonnes of shredded plastic from vehicles, en route from Cork to Lubeck, when she ran on to rocks between Land's End and Sennen on 22nd March, 2003. Salvage proved difficult. A conveyor belt system was set up on the cliff top to remove as much of the cargo as possible as it was determined that the wreck could not be refloated. Some of the plastic was lost into the sea when the ship foundered, but pollutants such as batteries and large containers of paint were recovered, along with most of the plastic. The last 10 - 15 tonnes of plastic had to be left behind and the hull was abandoned and left to break up.

skittles in answer to your question:

The rest of it is the panels you can just make out on the beach around what is left of the main hull in the second picture.

I've just remembered why the name of Sennen Cove seemed familiar: We buried in a fibre optic cable that was run between there and Kilmore Quay in Ireland. We spent more time in the pubs of Waterford than we did at sea, because of the weather conditions.

Spent more than I earned, I think. :D

Nice one matey.

The Isle of Wight was renowned for ship wrecks, but non recently for me to report on :(

Heres another pic of that ship;

16690208.jP5053374.jpg

There wasn't an off-white Transit pickup seen in the vicinity shortly before the rest of it disappeared, was there?

Latest posts

Back