Military Buildings - Beacon Wood, Loxley Area, Sept 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guybrush

Reaction score
This an explore from September 08, when I was up in the woods in Loxley, at the back of the Derelict Factory I mention in the Link below:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=8978

There are a small number of derelict outbuildings in the wood, apparently the remains of Military buildings, which accompanied the AA Gun that once was there.

Alittle passage of text, with some info about the woods

"Woodland contiguous with the Trust’s property to the north is noticeably lumpy as it contains the remains of many sunken air-raid shelters, which served the local factory during WWII when it was commissioned for the production of ordnance."

Also it seems there were quite a few AA guns in this area, protecting sheffield from air raids, so possibly this is one.....

Brief description from Archaeology survey from 2003. At the time I spotted an old air raid shelter and some other things knocking about, but didnt take a proper look at the time just time restraints.

Rectangular pit, 3m x 2m, with slight embankment on the south side. Cut into
linear ditch 33. The form of the feature is in close accord with 2 man weapon
pits of mid twentieth century date and may be associated with Home Guard
activity between 1939-1945.
Rectangular pit, 14m x 4m, with a substantial scarp on the south side. This
feature, although larger than 53, is of similar form and may also have a recent military origin.

Entrance to the small air-raid shelter:

shelter1.jpg

shelter3.jpg

There are various mounds around this one, so possibly more shelters are hidden, if indeed these were meant for the factory.

Just before you reach the shelter, you come along this derelict structure, which I assume is where the AA gun would of been based somewhere, as you can see its pretty overgrown.

loxleyair.jpg

markings on wall of structure?

drawi.jpg

To the side of this are some stairs,, which lead to the top of the concrete structure.I visited this bit in June, and to be honest didnt really see much. However this time I caught something i Missed, just off to the side

loxley.jpg

wall.jpg

room.jpg

theres also a tunnel into the structure

loxtun.jpg

How far this goes I couldnt tell, as no torch and shit trainers .........

theres also some metal girders elsewhere knocking about amongst some more rubble and some railway tracks?

tracks.jpg

oh and mr old boot

shoe.jpg

back down to the bottom of stairs at the first structure, and just off to the side and you can see the view upwards, with the other structures mentioned before just to the left.

wall1.jpg

Its an odd place, and with the amount of mounds and bushes knocking about, I just wonder what else if hidden out there and now with winter being upon us, Ill be heading back here soon to see whats what and check that tunnel out:)

Thanks for looking

This is getting even better. :) Loved the pics of the factory and now these pics. There seems to be much more than the eye can see around here. I may have to have a trip up here very, very soon. excellent pics mate, really do like this.

Cheers,

:) Sal

The second pic of the first structure looks pretty similar to a Stanton Shelter. There are some odd and interesting buildings there. It'll be great to see what's more get-at-able now that there won't be so much undergrowth and I look forward to the pics of your next visit.
Cheers, Guybrush. :)

Looks an interesting site, that tunnel looks tempting :)

Interesting explore mate!

That barrel of black tar gives the fear a bit.. what is that horrible muck ?

Latest posts

Back