A.B.C cinema, Wakefield

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: A.B.C cinema Wakefield report

Nice one, just took a look at your blog. The old photos are a nice touch :)
The tiling and doors at the main entrance look identical to the ones that were at the abc in Leicester (demolished last year)

My Auntie watched The Beatles play at Wakey cinema many moons ago!

I saw The Silence of the lambs there with my Dad when I was 14! My first 18 movie at the flicks!

Funny what you remember

Bloody Hell, last time i was in that place i went to see Nightmare on Elm Street!!!
Now the place is a nightmare:lol:

Nice 1, enjoyed your blog 2.

Cheers folks. HI Smileysal... Well the water puzzle is what i'd like to find out. No one seems to know. The river Calder burst it's banks in the 30's and flooded the cinema, I know the water is 6' deep in the basement. It if it was a leak then it's been going for ages :question:
I was told that there's a spring underneath the building and it required a pump operating pretty much continuously while the cinema was open to keep the water levels down. Once the power got turned off when the cinema closed, the water just kept on rising.

SC

I was told that there's a spring underneath the building and it required a pump operating pretty much continuously while the cinema was open to keep the water levels down. Once the power got turned off when the cinema closed, the water just kept on rising.

SC

Yes you're right, there is a pump but i'm not sure about a spring or not. From what i've found out from someone off Phils report site old cinemas when excavated had pumps fitted in the basement areas to rid it of any excess rain water finding its way in. Obviously this building has been without electricity for many years now so the pump wont be working.

I've had a snoop round the ABC today while i was in town, mainly to find an entry point. I found one :)

But.......i've noticed builders must've been in recently too as there's a few 'Demolition In Progress' been added around the site. Also the main doors at the front have been re-boarded up with new hardboard and again, more signs have been put up on it saying 'Dangerous Building'.

Very very very cool pictures, i love the effect the water has made when you stand in it. Would love to get into a cinema. Hope when i do its as good and this set of pictures.

Tks

Latest posts

Back