A guide to posting a location report.

Help Support Derelict Places:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have written this guide to posting a location report. It's not a set of 'rules' to be followed but is a set of guidelines we would appreciate people following to maintain the standard of content, and keep things useable for all. Threads that deviate heavily from the guidelines below are at risk of being removed to the pit, but our tolerance is generally pretty high except when it comes to large volumes of high resolution photos, really pointless locations or blatant rule breaking.

It's split into 3 parts which will follow in seperate posts below;

Part 1: Types of suitable location to post reports on.

Part 2: What a report should, and should not contain.

Part 3: The nuts and bolts, how to actually post a report.

Last edited:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Part 1: Types of suitable location.

The focus of this site is derelict and abandoned buildings. So posted locations should either be derelict or abandoned, I would hope that much is obvious.

I would also advise everyone to think very carefully about what they post on public forums. Times are hard, scrap value is sky high and thieves trawl the internet looking for stuff to steal. Chances are if you post anything of value in public it might not be there for long. That doesn't just include this website but the internet in general. You should also be very careful about who you give specific information via PM to. Do you know who they are and what their intentions are?

It would be impossible to come up with a definitive list of what is and isn't suitable, but as a basic rule of thumb if it takes less than 15 minutes to walk around (without stopping to set up photos!) then it probably isn't a suitable location to post up UNLESS it has highly unusual features which are likely to be of interest to a number of people.

For example a decrepit or burnt out residential/urban house/farmhouse really isn't that interesting and probably isn't worth writing up unless it contains something highly unusual either architecturally or contents wise. The same goes for empty garage forecourts, modern offices etc. We also discourage the posting of historical/tourism sites such as national trust and english heritage properties and places that are accessible to the general public. There are many many other websites dedicated to these, and the kind of 'maintained dereliction' they offer is not really relevant to this site.

However this raises the issue of whether ww2 relics should be posted (eg. reports for a single pillboxes, tank blocks, road blocks etc). If you have a string of related defences to report on (over 3 within a reasonable distance of each other) then you can post it as a normal location report in the normal WW2 defence forum. If it's less than that then it's not going to make an interesting report for the masses and should be posted in the Defence of Britain group where only those who are interested and have opted to view them will see it.

In addition to derelict and abandoned sites we also cover a limited number of what could be considered 'unseen' sites or places that are not generally open or accessible to the public. These generally come under the 2 different headings of 'things that would otherwise be unseen' and 'drains and sewers'. These aren't really directly relevant to the site but are kept as a nod to the urbex community of which we are part.

Last edited:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Part 2: What a report should contain.

A report should generally consist of some history and some photos/ video. It can also contain the story of your explore but that is entirely up to you.

Text.

It's always good to have a history, lots of us are interested in it and it puts the building into context so we can better understand the photos.

It is often quite difficult to find out the history of some buildings so don't worry if you can't. If you are interested in the history yourself but can't find anything then ask in your report if anyone else knows, lots of us are very good at research and may be able to find something out for you. However, if you do get a history yourself please quote your sources, plaugeurism is not fair.

If you choose to talk a bit about your exploration of the building then please keep in mind the forum rules and do not talk access points or do too much to antagonise any security. They do read these forums and may act on whatever you say.

Photos / Video

If you are posting a photo report, your report should contain around 10-15 of your best photos, and if possible please include internal and external shots so we get a good overview of the building. Also, whilst we accept that not everyone is a professional photographer they do need at least be in focus and reasonably exposed. They should also be of a reasonable size, we suggest a maximum of 1024x768. This keeps the report to a reasonable size for everyone to be able to view regardless of their internet connection. There is a handy thread with instructions on how to add photos.

We would also prefer it if post-processing of photos is kept to a minimum, overly HDRd or processed photos are not an accurate representation of the building and do nothing to give the viewer an idea of the location. Subtle is ok, overboard is not. Whilst we are aware that this is a devisive point and that HDR images can be considered artistic, we need to draw the line somewhere and will remove reports containing images that look more like CGI than photos. This is after all a website dedicated to documenting buildings, not to show off your artistic work. As a rough guide, the actual subject of the photo needs to be clear and well defined. Low contrast, under exposed and desaturated photos all prevent this. If the photo is about your processing and not the actual subject, then it's not good for here.

Video reports are expected to follow the same format as photo threads. If you are posting a video please make sure that the focus of the video is the location, not you and your friends or the antics you get up to in the location. Please make sure that you embed the video so we can view it in the thread, and if at all possible please add a couple of photos too, even if they're just stills from the video.

Location News

Any news about specific places (such as demolition, fires, etc etc) should be posted in the general forum and not in the report forums.

Last edited:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Part 3: The nuts and bolts of actually posting a report.

There are 7 points to bear in mind when posting a location onto the forums.

1. One Thread per visit to a location

Simple one this, If you and two friends visit a location together you don't need to each create a new thread about that location. It's better one person creates a thread and you all post images there, Otherwise we end up with multiple threads that are all about the same location on the same day which is just daft.

If you then go back a month later and want to create a new thread then, thats fine as its clearly different visit.

The following is a good example of a report that follows this layout:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/ma...merstham-aaor-bunker-surrey-march-2018-a.html

2. Use an informative thread title:

The following layout is our preferred format: Location Name, Town or place - Month Year

So for Example: Cane Hill Hospital, Surrey - Jan 2008

The word REPORT is not necessary in your title, please remove it if you are copying and pasting your report from other forums! ;)

3. Do not post the exact date of your visit

Don't put the date of the visit in the thread title or in your report. Its an absolute gift to security guards who can use it to identify how people are getting in. If you need to put a date then specify a month only. It's also putting yourself in jeopardy if something happens to that building on the same day you visited... you may unwittingly be putting yourself at the scene of a crime.

4. Use proper english in your text.

It gets very difficult to read text speak or large blocks of text which don't have paragraph breaks. Whilst we acknowledge it's not everyones strongest point please at least make some kind of effort to keep it readable. It doesn't have to be perfect, just readable!

5. Please limit photo sizes

Whilst most people have decent broadband connections it can still take forever for pages to load if you include lots of photos at 3080 x 2048 resolution etc. Please limit photo size to 1024x768 maximum.

If you are not sure how to put photos into your posts here is a useful guide.

6. Be Discrete

Remember, security guards use the internet and they are aware of forums like this. So it is important not to mention details of access to a location or details of security behaviors in public. We have a private message function to talk about access & security.

Last edited:

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that it confirms how I thought we should be posting. As one of the pillbox posters on this forum I try not to post them signally instead I build a few up before posting or do a few in one day. The exception was the Thames thread where I wanted to show the complete set. It is good to have some guidelines. :)

Kona King

Reaction score
There is an old WWII airfield close to my location(Predannack on the Lizard). It contains along with a few old buildings an assortment of rusty old aircraft(jets & choppers)which will never fly again trust me! If I posted shots of the aircraft along with the buildings would my post be binned? It's a really interesting mooch as I've been there a couple of times before. It is still in use but only at the weekends and even then it is just a civilian flying/glider club on the main runway(s).

Andy Wipes

Reaction score
Picasa

Hi,is it possible to post reports from picasa? Sorry to be a pain, but not very computer literate & the attempts I've made so far haven't worked!
Thanks

UEP-Wales

Moody Moderator
Reaction score
Hi,is it possible to post reports from picasa? Sorry to be a pain, but not very computer literate & the attempts I've made so far haven't worked!
Thanks

Follow these steps to embed a Picasa Web Albums image...

1. On the My Photos page, click your album.
  2. Click the photo you'd like to embed.
  3. Click Link to this Photo on the right sidebar.
  4. Set the following preferences:
  5. Select your preferred image size.
  6. Select 'Hide album link' to remove a link to the containing album, which is displayed by default with the image.
  7. Select 'Image only (no link)' to get the image URL by itself, with no link back to Picasa Web Albums.
  8. Copy the HTML (Ctrl-C) in the 'Embed image' field on the right-hand side.
  9. Paste the HTML (Ctrl-V) in the source code for your site

Andy Wipes

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that. I have subscribed to photobucket & used it to post my first report yesterday but I found it very slow so will go back to picasa next time. Mind you I think both me & this computer might be a bit slow too!

Derelictspaces

Reaction score
Is there a way to link photos over from Flickr on a mobile device, I've tried various ways to no avail...

carole woddis

Reaction score
I am a new member. I want to post some information about The Coppice Hospital, Nottingham.
Have read the info but still can't see where and how to post it.
Can you help?

smiler

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Carole, Try posting it on the General thread, if I've steered you wrong one our kind, considerate and lovable mods will fix it. Stay Safe.

Last edited:

Latest posts