A guide to posting a location report.

Help Support Derelict Places:

Last hope.

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel quite stupid... I've looked a these guides but i still can't work out how i start a brand new thread so i can share my experience?

Any help... so i can stop feeling stupid please 😂

Bones out

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel quite stupid... I've looked a these guides but i still can't work out how i start a brand new thread so i can share my experience?

Any help... so i can stop feeling stupid please ��

Click the 'forum' icon on the home page. Then find the forum you wish to post it in (eg industrial) click to open that forum then top left you will see post new thread.... Fill ya boots.

Eddie

Reaction score
help!! I've been a real spanner and hit the refresh button just before I finished writing a post!! Is there any way of retrieving said draft post at all, or it a case of bad luck, start again??

Many thanks in advance.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
help!! I've been a real spanner and hit the refresh button just before I finished writing a post!! Is there any way of retrieving said draft post at all, or it a case of bad luck, start again??

Many thanks in advance.

At the bottom left corner of the editor window (where you type your stuff in) there may be a restore saved post contents button. In future often the best way is to compose your post in notepad or similar then cut & paste it here.

shocker

Reaction score
There are 7 points to bear in mind when posting a location onto the forums.

1. One Thread per visit to a location

Simple one this, If you and two friends visit a location together you don't need to each create a new thread about that location. It's better one person creates a thread and you all post images there, Otherwise we end up with multiple threads that are all about the same location on the same day which is just daft.

If you then go back a month later and want to create a new thread then, thats fine as its clearly different visit.

The following is a good example of a report that follows this layout:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/industrial-sites/2442-cwm-coke.html

2. Use an informative thread title:

The following layout is our preferred format: Location Name, Town or place - Month Year

So for Example: Cane Hill Hospital, Surrey - Jan 2008

The word REPORT is not necessary in your title, please remove it if you are copying and pasting your report from other forums! ;)

3. Do not post the exact date of your visit

Don't put the date of the visit in the thread title or in your report. Its an absolute gift to security guards who can use it to identify how people are getting in. If you need to put a date then specify a month only. It's also putting yourself in jeopardy if something happens to that building on the same day you visited... you may unwittingly be putting yourself at the scene of a crime.

4. Use proper english in your text.

It gets very difficult to read text speak or large blocks of text which don't have paragraph breaks. Whilst we acknowledge it's not everyones strongest point please at least make some kind of effort to keep it readable. It doesn't have to be perfect, just readable!

5. Please limit photo sizes

Whilst most people have decent broadband connections it can still take forever for pages to load if you include lots of photos at 3080 x 2048 resolution etc. Please limit photo size to 1024x768 maximum.

If you are not sure how to put photos into your posts here is a useful guide.

6. Be Discrete

Remember, security guards use the internet and they are aware of forums like this. So it is important not to mention details of access to a location or details of security behaviors in public. We have a private message function to talk about access & security.

This makes total sense as is said too many people ruin it for others nowadays.

MissEvelynn

Reaction score
Hi, unbelieveably new user here. Have some photos of the copper works site in Swansea (managed to get inside the buildings - it's pretty obvious from the photos I took that I wasn't the first and I'm unlikely to be the last), the city only decided that it was historically interesting in the last year or so - is it still OK to post the photos I took?

I just don't want to post my photos and find that I broke the rules already *chews nails nervously*

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi, unbelieveably new user here. Have some photos of the copper works site in Swansea (managed to get inside the buildings - it's pretty obvious from the photos I took that I wasn't the first and I'm unlikely to be the last), the city only decided that it was historically interesting in the last year or so - is it still OK to post the photos I took?

I just don't want to post my photos and find that I broke the rules already *chews nails nervously*

Yes of course!

Firepixie

Reaction score
How do I post my initial questions to the community
New to all this
HUGE THANKS
Firepixie

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
how do you post on this site i am completely baffled

Not really sure what you're asking. You seem to have managed it by posting your question. All the information you need is here, I'm afraid it cannot really be made any clearer for you.

If you mean how do you include photos, there are specific instructions here:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/help-and-faqs/31184-add-images-posts.html

Or if you're generally confused about how to use forums there is a set of instructions here:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/faq.php

Pamexplore

Reaction score
Hi, so been trying to figure out how to get my pics on so I can actually post a report for a while now, imgur and Flickr are not giving me the options, imgur will allow me to link the pic but it zooms it in so it’s a tiny bit of something, there seems to be no option to resize it. Flickr just doesn’t give an option. Help, I want to share but can’t.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
I have checked both processes and apart from a few small changes which anyone should be able to navigate, the processes haven't changed and the instructions work. The only thing I can think of which maybe isn't clear is that you need to have an account and have signed in to imgur / flickr to see some of the options. Apart from that there's no way for me to make it any clearer, sorry.

Pamexplore

Reaction score
It was to do with me using my mobile, it sent me to mobile site which doesn’t give the options, got it to work with imgur in the end, now I know how I’ll be able to post more. Honestly tried to work it out loads of times in the past and gave up.

KPUrban_

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Where it mentions “Be Discrete” is it good to put the town a site is located in? Eg. Abandoned Hospital, Hitchin. Or should we stick to counties? Eg Abandoned car dealership Lincolnshire.