A guide to posting a location report.

Help Support Derelict Places:

aShooter

Reaction score
Hi Krela,

I created my first post yesterday to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and thought it was about time to post. As I'm a relatively new member do my posts take longer to get published or have I dropped a nard in the way in which I posted? Many thanks aShooter.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Krela,

I created my first post yesterday to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and thought it was about time to post. As I'm a relatively new member do my posts take longer to get published or have I dropped a nard in the way in which I posted? Many thanks aShooter.

No it got stuck in the moderation queue and I didn't notice, many apologies for that, it's up now! Only your first posts gets moderated, so anything from now on will be fine!

Trevone64

Reaction score
Hi I was looking at the pics of flexlands school. I went there in 1969 it was like being in a school that Enid blyton had created. Very strict and old fashioned. The photos made me very sad. It was a grand building

Sideways

Reaction score
Just a quick question from a newbie.
I’ve been out this morning at a derelict mansion nearby - last thread on here that mentioned it was in 2016.
It seems to be partly occupied now and the grounds look in decent nick. Are we allowed to post “update” threads to save people a wasted trip? Or better to bump the last thread (or would that be hijacking?)

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Just a quick question from a newbie.
I’ve been out this morning at a derelict mansion nearby - last thread on here that mentioned it was in 2016.
It seems to be partly occupied now and the grounds look in decent nick. Are we allowed to post “update” threads to save people a wasted trip? Or better to bump the last thread (or would that be hijacking?)

Unless you were successful and have photos to post don't start a new report thread. To be honest update threads about whether places are doable or not aren't really relevant here and we don't bother with such stuff. You could add it to the bottom of another thread if you really wanted to, I don't think anyone would take offence.

Hayman

Reaction score
Part 3: The nuts and bolts of actually posting a report.

There are 7 points to bear in mind when posting a location onto the forums.

1. One Thread per visit to a location

Simple one this, If you and two friends visit a location together you don't need to each create a new thread about that location. It's better one person creates a thread and you all post images there, Otherwise we end up with multiple threads that are all about the same location on the same day which is just daft.

If you then go back a month later and want to create a new thread then, thats fine as its clearly different visit.

The following is a good example of a report that follows this layout:

Merstham AAOR Bunker - Surrey - March 2018

2. Use an informative thread title:

The following layout is our preferred format: Location Name, Town or place - Month Year

So for Example: Cane Hill Hospital, Surrey - Jan 2008

The word REPORT is not necessary in your title, please remove it if you are copying and pasting your report from other forums! ;)

3. Do not post the exact date of your visit

Don't put the date of the visit in the thread title or in your report. Its an absolute gift to security guards who can use it to identify how people are getting in. If you need to put a date then specify a month only. It's also putting yourself in jeopardy if something happens to that building on the same day you visited... you may unwittingly be putting yourself at the scene of a crime.

4. Use proper english in your text.

It gets very difficult to read text speak or large blocks of text which don't have paragraph breaks. Whilst we acknowledge it's not everyones strongest point please at least make some kind of effort to keep it readable. It doesn't have to be perfect, just readable!

5. Please limit photo sizes

Whilst most people have decent broadband connections it can still take forever for pages to load if you include lots of photos at 3080 x 2048 resolution etc. Please limit photo size to 1024x768 maximum.

If you are not sure how to put photos into your posts here is a useful guide.

6. Be Discrete

Remember, security guards use the internet and they are aware of forums like this. So it is important not to mention details of access to a location or details of security behaviors in public. We have a private message function to talk about access & security.
"Be Discrete" - "Be Discreet". Discrete means separate, distinct.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
How do you post?

Read that thread and you'll be instructed how to post.

Latest posts