A pillbox in mid Wales

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to put a place on this one, it's off the A470 Builth to Rhayadar road near Dolowold. How I found it was from traceing the route of the old rail line that ran to Rhayadar that Mr Beaching kindly closed down. I noticed a green square on my DOB database, checked in Google earth and there it was. The pillbox is sat by the old rail line faceing the river Wye and where a rail bridge over it used to be anyway some photo's.

4494403651_fdc610f5ab_o.jpg

This is what I first saw after walking through a field full of sheep

4494403971_95851724ce_o.jpg

Closer view of the pillbox

4495044604_980fbabab2_o.jpg

Round the back showing the entrance bythe old rail fence

4494404805_c585d309d6_o.jpg

This is looking across the top towards the Wye, the rail bridge would have been to the left of the photo

4494406069_bdfa1b7bbc_o.jpg

Inside from the entrance as you can see only sheep come in here now and it was full of bones and what looked like afterbirth on the floor.

4495046380_dec0d4d037_o.jpg

Bit of 70 year old wood in the wall

4495046932_7d508f40b5_o.jpg

As you can see the corrugated roof is in place from the casting process, it hangs down by the door and I hit it when I stood up.

4495047546_faa074e98e_o.jpg

Last one lookingthrough a loophole. A few more on my Flickr page if you want to look.

Nice brick type 22 there NC. I've got to agree with Cptpies the inside is nothing like I've come across before

Nice one MR Crawler !!! Who gave you permission to venture outside Oxon !!!!!!:p
What is your opinion on the internal structure,i have a funny feeling that it is original and that you crawled under it to access your firing position and it then protected every other occupant from a stray bullet through your embrasure (Sounds painful) a PROPER anti ricochet wall !!Certainly never seen the like before though !!

You can walk round the inside of the pillbox. Only think I can think of is they were economising on concrete, seem they were running short of the stuff part way through the stop line construction. The walls are only about a foot thick.:)

Latest posts

Back