Quantcast

A reminder...

Help Support Derelict Places:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
This is just a friendly reminder about the various laws that might come into play regarding the pastime of urban exploration.

There have been particular issues around fencing being cut, and windows/doors being smashed down etc. Any kind of damage caused whilst exploring places (regardless of intent, and regardless of the state of the building) could be considered to be criminal damage and renders you liable to prosecution. I do occasionally get requests from landowners, lawyers and the police for information and where legally necessary I comply with them.

As far as I am concerned, if you can't get in somewhere without damaging something, then you can't get in at all, and if you do damage something to get in then you're not welcome on this website. We have a zero tolerance policy on criminal behaviour. End of story.

For a more comprehensive guide about the criminal laws which may apply to you whilst exploring see this page.

Krypton

Veteran Member
Reaction score
If you have to Destroy something to get access then you are not an Explorer, Simple.

I completely agree with you Shuck. Most of us on here are generally interested in the protection of the buildings and hate the damage caused by pikeys and chavs and general midless yobs. If you break entry intentionally, then in my books you become a mindless yob and not an explorer.

FieldyM

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Why did this need discussion....

Surely this line...

if you do damage something to get in then you're not welcome on this website. We have a zero tolerance policy on criminal behaviour. End of story.

Sums it up...

No requirement to talk about it...

If you do it.. shut the fuck up about it! If you don't do it then good!

Further discussion of grey areas is just antagonistic...

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Why did this need discussion....

Surely this line...

Sums it up...

No requirement to talk about it...

If you do it.. shut the fuck up about it! If you don't do it then good!

Further discussion of grey areas is just antagonistic...

Well said (again... you do talk sense ocassionally ;) )

This isn't a topic for discussion. ANY kind of damage; digging, cutting, crowbarring nails off doors (even IF you replace them) is criminal. ANYTHING that isn't going through an already open gate/door/window etc is criminal damage and you ARE liable for prosecution if you get caught. Basic rule of thumb... if it requires a tool (or a well placed boot) to get in... then it's criminal.

Even carrying a tool that has the potential to cause damage could be considered illegal and render you liable to be charged. So is taking ANYTHING away from a site, even if it seems inconsequential.

It's up to each individual to decide how far they want to go and whether they want to break the law. I am merely making clear what the laws are, and that any member on here who hints about or is discovered to have broken the law will not be tolerated. I also want to make it very clear that any requests from the police to provide information should it be asked for will be and has been fulfilled. If I don't then I open myself up to prosecution and I'm not willing to do that.

Trudger

Veteran Member
Reaction score
just a note - don't repair or attempt to fix anything you find damaged on a site as this can be classed as criminal damage !
Keep it simple, leave only footprints, take only pictures.

Sorry if this sounds like nannying ...

T

B

BigLoada

Yup, digging would be unlawful. (see criminal damage)

T

Not necessarily! I have been involved in digging and a few other guys I know have too, working on big projects and it depends on the area. The area I have been digging it is quite acceptable. Though this is probably a unique area. Permission can always be asked and you'd be surprised , if the request is put the right way, how accomodating some people can be;)

EDIT: Just re read this and I want to stress I aint saying digging is okay. Only if permission is given which was the case when I have done stuff like this. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression :)

Last edited:

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Not necessarily! I have been involved in digging and a few other guys I know have too, working on big projects and it depends on the area. The area I have been digging it is quite acceptable. Though this is probably a unique area. Permission can always be asked and you'd be surprised , if the request is put the right way, how accomodating some people can be;)

EDIT: Just re read this and I want to stress I aint saying digging is okay. Only if permission is given which was the case when I have done stuff like this. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression :)

Lol, if you have permission you're hardly breaking the law are you? :)

Digging in caves and some mines with permission is acceptable in some circumstances. It's also incredibly dangerous unless you are very experienced and know what you're doing :)

I suspect some people are referring to digging the soil out from underneath fences to get under them though, which would most definitely be considered criminal damage or aggravated trespass and is criminally illegal.

B

BigLoada

Lol, if you have permission you're hardly breaking the law are you? :)

Digging in caves and some mines with permission is acceptable in some circumstances. It's also incredibly dangerous unless you are very experienced and know what you're doing :)

I suspect some people are referring to digging the soil out from underneath fences to get under them though, which would most definitely be considered criminal damage or aggravated trespass and is criminally illegal.

Ah right! I didnt realise you meant digging under fences. I just assumed you meant digging mines :) And yes its very dangerous without the right stuff. Sorry, beer makes me confused for some reason;)

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
I've broken my camera, torch, and myself on an explore, does that count? :p

It's a shame we need this thread at all TBH, it shouldn't need saying again and again.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Don't worry, the school holidays are coming to an end, so the silly access / location / security questions should slow down too.

Krypton

Veteran Member
Reaction score
It gets said every time I have dealings with the police ;)
I really wouldnt have thought youd have had dealings with the police due to memebrs on here. Do they get banned if there name is mentioned to you?

Don't worry, the school holidays are coming to an end, so the silly access / location / security questions should slow down too.

Didnt think there was any people in school who uses this. Apart from me... :)