Quantcast

A reporter would be interested in talking with some of you.

Help Support Derelict Places:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there - Tom Hitchenor here from Northants Live.

I am a news reporter. I saw your site and wondered if some of your members wanted to talk to us about a feature we are doing on urban exploring in Northamptonshire.

Could you possibly put me in touch with any of your users that have been to Northamptonshire locations doing urbex?

Cheers!

Tom

If any of you are interested you can send me your name and an email address he could reach you at. Then you can decide how it goes from there.
Only do this is you are comfortable doing it.

harry.linley

Reaction score
My name is Harry, email address happy to talk about urban ex in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunkyMuffin

Reaction score
Hi there - Tom Hitchenor here from Northants Live.

I am a news reporter. I saw your site and wondered if some of your members wanted to talk to us about a feature we are doing on urban exploring in Northamptonshire.

Could you possibly put me in touch with any of your users that have been to Northamptonshire locations doing urbex?

Cheers!

Tom

If any of you are interested you can send me your name and an email address he could reach you at. Then you can decide how it goes from there.
Only do this is you are comfortable doing it.

Yes please I've pm'd you

zeroUE

Reaction score
Sellouts, and why is a moderator supporting this!?

Tbolt

DP Supporter
Reaction score
Or it could actually be a good chance for our community to show that we are not all idiots who break in and steal and wreck stuff.

Personally, I'm surprised to see it here ae well but it can be done without giving away locations although anyone looking at this site would have a dozen locations from Scotland to London within 5 mins 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tbolt

DP Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo here's the thing, jurno's are usually pond life in my experience and this chap is looking to write an article about our community, a community that is on the whole blessed by good people who care about the place they visit.
He's going to write an article about us with or without our involvement and if he just gets abuse that article is going to be slanted very heavily against us but if he has our input then there is at least a chance something nearer the truth will emerge.
I'm am neither in the location he wants to write about or inclined to talk to him even if I was but I can see some value in doing so 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunkyMuffin

Reaction score
Sooooo here's the thing, jurno's are usually pond life in my experience and this chap is looking to write an article about our community, a community that is on the whole blessed by good people who care about the place they visit.
He's going to write an article about us with or without our involvement and if he just gets abuse that article is going to be slanted very heavily against us but if he has our input then there is at least a chance something nearer the truth will emerge.
I'm am neither in the location he wants to write about or inclined to talk to him even if I was but I can see some value in doing so 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Well said sir

Gripper66

Reaction score
I have dealt with the press a lot in the past. They will write the article regardless, Unless they have definite negative agenda, then it pays to talk to them and give them a story. Remember they are desperate for stories. At least is they misquote you, then you can challenge the paper.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Bet they still use the term "illegal" or "breaking in" at some point, no matter how balanced the article is.

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bet they still use the term "illegal" or "breaking in" at some point, no matter how balanced the article is.
In effect you are Trespassing if you do not have permission, you can be prosecuted. If you are caught Trespassing though that has to be proved. If you broke in then that is another point because if caught you could well get prosecuted for damage but it all has to be proved first and if you were caught on a premises you are not supposed to be in all they can do is ask you to leave and as long as you comply no problem.
All I can say is talk to them at you own risk, they do tend to twist things so it is more sensational and they get a bigger audience. I have spoken on Radio BBC Oxford and Berkshire in the past but I don't feel as though I came across well and I wish I had not done done the Berkshire one though I did not hear either.

FunkyMuffin

Reaction score
This is the reporter in question writing an article for the paper in question. I dare anyone to say his report is putting us in a bad light.

Yes, I realise almost all of you don’t trust or like reporters and are quick to judge those wanting to speak to them, even calling us names. Fact is I guard where I explore. You will rarely if ever get a location from me. I’m one of the good guys who doesn’t touch a thing, doesn’t stage scenes but only goes in to take pictures. I try to find out the history of the places I visit because that is equally as important. I do not break in, if there is no obvious sign of entry I walk away. It pains me to see these places trashed because there is no sense in it and I fail to understand why someone could do such a thing. So those of you who have judged me without knowing anything about me and called me names, stop it, you have no clue what my real life is like.

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see the explorer got in touch with them so put himself in the line straight away. Notice he mentions the copper pipes were gone, and it was broken into. The way it reads tells me they are hinting Uban Explorers did this when I have no doubt metal miners were to blame (thieves if you don't recognise the term). Like I say they do twist your words to suite themselves.

FunkyMuffin

Reaction score
I see the explorer got in touch with them so put himself in the line straight away. Notice he mentions the copper pipes were gone, and it was broken into. The way it reads tells me they are hinting Uban Explorers did this when I have no doubt metal miners were to blame (thieves if you don't recognise the term). Like I say they do twist your words to suite themselves.
You're all right, my apologies. I won't speak again

Tbolt

DP Supporter
Reaction score
This is the reporter in question writing an article for the paper in question. I dare anyone to say his report is putting us in a bad light.

Yes, I realise almost all of you don’t trust or like reporters and are quick to judge those wanting to speak to them, even calling us names. Fact is I guard where I explore. You will rarely if ever get a location from me. I’m one of the good guys who doesn’t touch a thing, doesn’t stage scenes but only goes in to take pictures. I try to find out the history of the places I visit because that is equally as important. I do not break in, if there is no obvious sign of entry I walk away. It pains me to see these places trashed because there is no sense in it and I fail to understand why someone could do such a thing. So those of you who have judged me without knowing anything about me and called me names, stop it, you have no clue what my real life is like.
I can vouch for miss muffin on this score, she is deffo one of the good guys and one of the few folk I'd trust with location info tbh so I know no "secret" stuff will be divulged

night crawler

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're all right, my apologies. I won't speak again
Don't do that we like you. Problem is any thing like that it tends to put everyone in a bad light because people straight away thing Urban Explorers are bad, metal miners steal copper we get the blame. Place is broken into we get the blame though in some cases I know an explorer did. Fair Mile Hosptal was a place I was taking photo of while it was being converted. I had permission from the contractors. Friday evening the place was locked and boarded up. Come Monday morning there were new photo's on a certain website. The place had been broken into by some one who posted them. So there are good an bad elements in what we do but truth is reporters are looking to sell papers and the more sensational it looks the better for them, they do not think of the consequences it causes for the people who do not do an harm. Every one gets tarred with the same brush.

JayGeeBSE

Reaction score
I thought the cafe article made it very clear the damage was caused by thieves, and that the photographer had no connection with that. Surely it's pretty unlikely thieves will waste their time taking photos of the place?

I was rather surprised at the amount of stuff the owners had left in there, of some value. I guess the lack of car boot sales makes it too much hassle to sell low value items.