A weird house in Somerset.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrab

Reaction score
I got told about this house on evening and went and had a look. The thing that made this house so interesting was in the way it was built/bodged. It had been used for commercial use but it was also used for domestic it was hard to tell what was going on here.
At first the walls looked good with nice oak panels but on closer inspection it was all made in 8x4 ply with pine moulding stained and aged. The house goes up for sale next week.

Here are some pics.

The first room had a church feel to it.

DSCF5136.jpg

DSCF5138.jpg

DSCF5141.jpg

DSCF5142.jpg

DSCF5145.jpg

DSCF5146.jpg

It was hard to get a sense of direction as you kept on finding little rooms and passage ways.
More photos

The water was on the inside.
DSCF5152.jpg

Fake oak panels
DSCF5153.jpg

Lots of weird features that make you what was this used for.
DSCF5156.jpg

Hidden door.
DSCF5160.jpg

I liked the way the old timber was used.
DSCF5162.jpg

DSCF5175.jpg

I want this as my new front room.
DSCF5170.jpg

DSCF5194.jpg

Built in bird cage.
DSCF5180.jpg

It just stranger by the room down this corridor there was a steam room, sauna, sun bed and a roman style plunge pool.
DSCF5186.jpg

DSCF5181.jpg

DSCF5183.jpg

DSCF5190.jpg

It even had its own bar but I think the dark board is a bit low.
DSCF5196.jpg

DSCF5199.jpg

It also has an outdoor pool with water feature.
DSCF5201.jpg

DSCF5202.jpg

The water feature.
DSCF5203.jpg

Pool.
DSCF5204.jpg

DSCF5205.jpg

Small castle.
DSCF5211.jpg

DSCF5209.jpg

It took about 2 hours to have a look around and take photos.

Very interesting little find there. Thanks for posting

Weird place!
Reckon that indoor pool area might have been used by the house gimp - almost like some sort of dungeon with those candle holders:mrgreen:

You might not be far off the mark as what looked like bedrooms had carpet on the walls:exclaim:

Now that got stranger and stranger as it went on especially when we reached the "small castle" ;)

Nice photos of a nice little find

:mrgreen:

In one of the pix there's what could be a little reception desk - ex bed and breakfast or little hotel?

And I have never seen built-in armchairs before! What an odd place! Great pix.

A

It looks like someone with REALLY bad taste and very little money has attempted to build an Arts & Crafts style house.

An engineer who was entrenched in the 1970's, judging by those fireplaces. If I had it, I would keep the rotunda (minus workbenches) the outdoor pool (minus the disney element) and the roman bath. The stairs look ok but all that panelling would give me a headache and the built in cages and fireplaces are just plain gruesome.

Last edited:
Puts me in mind of programmes like 'The Avengers'; half expected to see Diana Rigg or Vincent Price appearing out of one of those secret doors. Love it. Any idea about its history?

strange

Very odd.....kind of Alton towers meets swingers club with a bit of hammer horror thrown in.

i was thinking that, those cages were they man size with a push, im thinking Cynthia Payne and those extras she sold anyone see the film. Personal services,
My biographer said that my parties reminded them of a vicarage tea party, with sex thrown in.
Cynthia Payne

i was thinking that, those cages were they man size with a push, im thinking Cynthia Payne and those extras she sold anyone see the film. Personal services,
My biographer said that my parties reminded them of a vicarage tea party, with sex thrown in.
Cynthia Payne

Hahah you could be right there, stranger things have been known.

"The house goes up for sale next week."

LOLOL I'd love to see what the estate agent comes up with as a description for this!

"small,private dwelling,lots of unusual features including inside frog pond with own bay window,outside swimming pool,built-in cages and custom made,built-in furniture.Would suit sado-masochist with a love of nature and wood panelling"

Latest posts

Back