A weird house in Somerset.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear me what a place! Keep us updated on estate agent's description...sould be good fun. Great post

Wow, its fantastic. The staircase is outstanding and i dont care if the oak panneling was fake, still looked good. Looked like some sort of health spa, with the sauna bit.

Puts me in mind of programmes like 'The Avengers'; half expected to see Diana Rigg or Vincent Price appearing out of one of those secret doors. Love it. Any idea about its history?

That's EXACTLY what it looks like! It's brilliant. What a great place.

Looking again at these pics, some of the mortar looks new and some areas are very 1970's/80's and filthy dusty so I am thinking this went out of use, was bought and improvements started on but then went back out of use. In places it has that kitsch quality of a seaside "attraction", themed inn or medieval banqueting place and that themed outdoor pool is pretty unsubtle so may be for kids but it also reminds me of a place where they let the seals come out for the tourists, especially with that window - maybe for tickets or ice creams? The aquariums, window pond and parrot cage tie in with this seaside attraction theory and the tables could have carried more tanks. There seems to be a bar or shop counter and possibly a cloakroom/reception booth or smaller serving hatch. Maybe they retired (or the price of pine went up and they went bust, lol) and then it was bought by someone who wanted to make it a bit more sophisticated but they went bust. /Sherlock Holmes mode off, lol.

...and looking at pic 1, the wood used for the shelf reminds me of a boat rudder for some reason. There is also other old wood over doorways, maybe an old maritime/smuggling theme going on, what with the fish ponds/tanks and stuff. Poldark or Onedin comes to mind.

Last edited:
It would be a terrible world to live in if everyone had everything exactly the same. I hate it when you go to other towns and find all the same retail brands have taken over the shops and food places.

Have you tried putting the address into Google? It might throw up some old business directory entry.

Wow now that is a cracking find I love that grand old staircase brilliant :)

sorry i have been away all weekend. I will get round to trying to find some info tonight while swmbo is waching the soaps.

Found this on here

http://www.cooperandtanner.co.uk/viewproperty.asp?adid=GUD00006958

The original property comprised a period farmhouse with a range of traditional outbuildings. Over the years the house has been extended to incorporate the barns and provide a house with a footprint of about 5718 sq ft (531.22 sq m). The majority of the accommodation is arranged over a single floor with part of the original house being over two floors and one of the converted barns dropping down to a lower ground floor level. The house is currently semi-derelict and requires complete renovation.

In the grounds is an outbuilding with a footprint of 2454 sq ft (228 sq m) that has been constructed to provide a large single storey dwelling of four/five bedrooms.

Within the grounds are a number of additional outbuildings that could be put to a variety of uses, subject of course to gaining any relevant planning consents. There is a large outdoor pool complex which comprises a number of changing rooms and a circular open air swimming pool.

The gardens and grounds extend to about 1.56 acres and benefit from road access onto the site at three points.

after looking on google came up with this.

CZECH BUILDERS LIMITED
Southwinds Farm Bath Road
Woolverton
BATH
BA2 7QT

Publication Date: Monday, 27 April 2009

Notice Code: 2903

Deceased Estates

Notice is hereby given pursuant to s. 27 of the Trustee Act 1925, that any person having a claim against or an interest in the estate of any of the deceased persons whose names and addresses are set out in the first and second columns of the following Table is hereby required to send particulars in writing of his claim or interest to the person or persons whose names and addresses are set out opposite the name of the deceased person in the third column of the Table, and to send such particulars before the date specified in relation to that deceased person in the fourth column of the said Table, after which date the personal representatives will distribute the estate among the persons entitled thereto having regard only to the claims and interests of which they have had notice and will not, as respects the property so distributed, be liable to any person of whose claim they shall not then have had notice.

I was told that they did some tele sales from here but not the above company.

Back