Abney Park Chapel

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

slim

I've lived in N16 for a while now and have often walked through Abney Park, a deconsecrated graveyard now wildlife reserve and have always loved the Church seemingly dumped in the middle of it. I've been reading a lot about Urbex and realised it sums up something I've always been fascinated with. So today, armed with my old SLR and a cheeky grin I managed to find my way into the chapel.

Well worth a visit

Very unusual looking chapel, your photos have come out beautifully!

Thanks for sharing.

Do you know much about it's history?

i wondered that too Tom, but they're in the gallery! can we have a link maybe?

some nice pics slim, and it's especially good to see the inside. we went there some time back (last year?) but it was enormously crowded in the graveyard there. someone lost their dog in the chapel so it had people at the gates calling the thing. farcical. the dog got in but i didn't. some pics here.

pleased your visit was more successful. :)

sam

Nice shots. It seems a shame to let a perfectly good building sit idle like that. you would have thought they could have found a use for it within the community?

Okay I created a gallery for it and moved the pics

Cheers matey :mrgreen:

That place is stunning. I heard on the radio this morning that a billion pounds is required to renovate all Britain's crumbling old religious sites.. With architecture like that it suddenly becomes clear why. Great pictures, nice one slim.

Nice shots. It seems a shame to let a perfectly good building sit idle like that. you would have thought they could have found a use for it within the community?

i did think that is its use though, to sit there among the gravestones and be part of a community area? the graveyard has some group looking after it, so although the chapel has fallen apart a bit, i wouldn't say it's unnoticed or neglected. it's gated though, so although the graveyard is public, the chapel isn't.

that's just my impression anyway. i got some info from the derelict london site previously but not looked it up lately.

sam

What a beautiful looking building. You've got some great pics there. love looking at black n white pics for buildings like that. they look much more atmospheric when they in black and white.

thanks again for sharing the pics with us. good ones.

:) Sal

I was reading something last night that said there are Catacombs under Abney Park Cemetery, but were blocked off in the 80's. I will post up the link later when I have time....

:)

Latest posts

Back