Advice needed Please Guys & Girls

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys & girls

So as i stated in my intro post along with exploring my other hobby is motorcycles. All things motorcycles, All types of motorcycles & All styles of riding in general. So any other bikers make yourself known lol.
Basically i am a beginner in the world of 'stunt riding' and want to make a video to help get myself out there. What i'm wanting to know is if anybody here knows the technicality of using/ getting permission to use a derelict industrial building/ area to film a stunt riding video? Or if its just going to be more hassle than it is worth?
I know there are going to be a lot of you that don't see the point, or see me as a 'hooligan' for my hobby. But it is a sport & i would love to be able to incorporate both my hobbies together.

Cheers, Kier.

Approach the owner/landlord. But note that: Insurance will be your biggest problem for a 'Permission Run'. Be fully covered for your activities and some may say yes. No cover and it will be a 'No No!' This is my experience when shooting Instructional Videos/Films on third party sites over the years, for my then employer.

Usually the owners are paranoid about letting any kind of perceived 'dangerous' activity take place on their property, which is probably not unreasonable given their lack of knowledge. Try convincing someone climbing is less dangerous than playing football.

I dont think that I would recommend a derelict building for stunt riding. It could be dangerous such as loose floors, loose concrete, bits of cable and other dangers. Another factor you'll have to consider is insurance, third party, fire and theft is no use nor will be a full comprehensive insurance because for cover the accident will have to happen on main highways and not a derelict building. Your best bet (and I've done it) is to head for woodland and stick your GoPro on the handlebars. Okay, so there's hidden roots, bits of branches and tree stumps but at least you'll have a soft landing and bounce back again.

I dont think that I would recommend a derelict building for stunt riding. It could be dangerous such as loose floors, loose concrete, bits of cable and other dangers. Another factor you'll have to consider is insurance, third party, fire and theft is no use nor will be a full comprehensive insurance because for cover the accident will have to happen on main highways and not a derelict building. Your best bet (and I've done it) is to head for woodland and stick your GoPro on the handlebars. Okay, so there's hidden roots, bits of branches and tree stumps but at least you'll have a soft landing and bounce back again.

yeah insurance is going to be my biggest issue, but it is something I am already in motion with sorting. and unfortunately woodland is a no go for me as I stunt ride a sport bike lol. I have gopro clips from industrial estates when everywhere is closed, however just looking for a more legitimate way and already know the place I want to use.

cheers, kier

Simple question for you, why would they say yes? What do they stand to gain from letting you do it?

Simple question for you, why would they say yes? What do they stand to gain from letting you do it?

not everything in life is about what you can get out of somebody?
I understand what you're saying, but you never know if you don't ask. I would be willing to pay to 'hire' the space for the time required.

I have an old airfield I have managed to get permission to ride on, but the derelict industrial area would make for a lot better video in my opinion.

The site I'm looking to use actually has a public right of way through the middle of it. I wouldn't be wanting to use the internals of the premises. just the old road through the middle.

You say that you own a sport bike. Now in my days as a teen we had trails bikes which can be used road legal as well as off-road. What good is your bike going to be on a flat airfield runway? If my trails bike had a long travel front suspension and a pair of good rear shocks then I'd be going through a forest or woodland. What's the model and make of your bike?

You say that you own a sport bike. Now in my days as a teen we had trails bikes which can be used road legal as well as off-road. What good is your bike going to be on a flat airfield runway? If my trails bike had a long travel front suspension and a pair of good rear shocks then I'd be going through a forest or woodland. What's the model and make of your bike?

yes Hugh I know what you mean, I also have had many road legal motocross & enduro bikes. I would just like to point out I am not talking about jumps and stunt like that, I'm talking about flat land stunt riding. The airfield run way is perfect for practising as plenty of run off either side if it does go wrong. The reason I wanted to use a more built up industrial area is to demonstrate the slow control required when there are surroundings and visualy would make for a better video for my 'Portfolio' if you like. As for what bike I have, the bike in the question is my purpose built stunt bike which started life as a Kawasaki Zx6-R (sports bike. But has been heavily modified for stunt riding (flat bar conversion, left hand rear brake, massive rear sprocket, full crash cage & subcage, scrape bar, dented petrol tank e.c.t). I also have a road legal pit bike (mini dirt bike) & motocross bikes for when i want to ride through forests and woodland.

Cheers, Kier

It can be done like this excellent one of Dayyn's vids, but imagine large sums of money changed hands for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVqOdI

I did think it was always going to come down to a large sum of money lol but if you don't ask you don't get.

My original location I had in mind is still a work in progress, but I have found an empty industrial building on a live industrial estate and have actually had a response from the land owners. winning!!

Latest posts

Back