Airfield Defences book

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptpies

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is a shameless plug for something I had a small part in which will also benefit many of the members here who have a passion for airfields. Paul Francis of AIX/ARG is publishing a new partwork on 20th century military archaeology, the first part dealing with airfield defence is now available. It's a fantastic reference detailing airfields and their defence structures dating to WWII. It gives insight into the various types of defence structure found at airfields, the strategy and tactics behind their layout and the organisation of the forces detailed to man them.

You can order it from here

Proceeds will go towards the upkeep of the Airfield Research Group and AIX.

Cheers

Steve

Issue 2 will be about RAF Northolt (war diary, consisting of a history of the station and squadron ORBs of the key units stationed there in WW2. Ooriginally part of a much larger book written for the MoD) but is being held up at the moment by the MoD.
Issue 3 about RAF training

However, the series won't get beyond issue 1 (ISBN 978 0 9521847 0 6) if sales don't pick up.

Not sure if reviews are allowed here but in brief:
Issue 1, Airfield Defences is a well researched and informative volume. Easy to read but full of detail, well illustrated with photos and detailed diagrams.
There are some sample pages at: http://www.airfieldinformationexcha...w-Book-on-Airfield-Defences&p=49871#post49871

(...and no, I have no financial connection with this, Steve or Paul...just a shared interest in airfield archaeology)

Last edited:
Really can't recommend this book highly enough !!! Tis a great read,really detailed with good photographic detail too !!Anyone that posts any articles on this forum about WWII defences or Military/RAF in general should own this book !!!:exclaim:

Interesting that RAF Northolt has been mentioned. My distant relatives owned all of the land around there hundreds of years ago, but lost it all due to gambling & drinking.

I have for many years been reading about places that are no longer around, & found that a series of books from 'After the Battle' have been excellent for referance, particularly the one about the Battle of Britain http://www.afterthebattle.com/osCommerce/product_info.php?products_id=106 that I have on my very overloaded bookshelf, amongst others.

Back