Aldershot Command - Beacon Hill

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skoyen89

Reaction score
Discovered the best concentration of pillboxes in a small area I have seen with two Type 24s and four Vickers boxes all within an area the size of a football pitch. They are on the military training area at Beacon Hill, west of Aldershot and the area is open to the public as long as you observe the rules etc and are sensible about finding stuff. Unfortunately all are sealed and in use as bat boxes.
In addition I discovered a line of six pillboxes (are there more?) and a couple of others that are not on the DOB database. The DOB database entries for this section are not complete and the locations are often, but not always wrong.

In the DOB as #9843, correct position opposite the entrance to Beacon Hill Pit:

[
Beacon Hill Pit #1 389 by skoyen89, on FlickrMore photos of details, internals etc in my Flickr account.

9844 just up the road and on a bank overlooking the road:

Beacon Hill Pit #2 426 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill Pit #2 422 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Not in the DOB and on the crest of the hill virtually opposite #9844

Beacon Hill Pit #3 432 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill Pit #3 436 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill Pit #3 457 by skoyen89, on Flickr

behind the previous one in the woods - not on the DOB:

Beacon Hill Pit #4 475 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Shelter on Beacon Hill. Not on DOB and not far from a couple of the pill boxes.

Beacon Hill Shelter 499 by skoyen89, on Flickr

The first of a series of seven pillboxes in a small area defending a ridge againast attack from the south-east. This is a Type 24 and I think is #11095 on DOB:

Beacon Hill #1 488 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Next a Vickers Box and a Type 24 back to back:

Beacon Hill #2 502 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill #3 510 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Then three Vickers boxes in a line with about twenty yards between each. All are sealed off:

Beacon Hill #4 513 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill #5 516 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill #6 524 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill #6 526 by skoyen89, on Flickr

I think that the T24 and the four Vickers boxes are 7831 to 7834 but they are in the wrong place. The details on the internet version of the database are too vague to be clear and things likes steps down and appertures have been filled in. It is possible to see into a couple of them and in one the Vickers table can be seen.

And the last in this grouping which is a liittle further along and I think is #7836. This is in the right place and has three embrasures as it is set into the hill, firing south-east and down the steep hill. It has been converted to a bat box and hence the inside is in good condition. I love the wallpaper they have used!

Beacon Hill #7 535 by skoyen89, on Flickr

Beacon Hill #7 528 by skoyen89, on Flickr

I had looked at this group a few times on Google Earth and as I couldn't see photos of them already on the internet it was a good target for a day out. Also visited some of the boxes in Ewshot village but Sennelager has already posted pictures of those. Detail and interior shots are in my Flickr account.

Last edited:
You may wish to read up about embedding photos. All I'm seeing here is a great long list of links.

You may wish to read up about embedding photos. All I'm seeing here is a great long list of links.

I did but one of the posts in the FAQ section said that you could right click on the picture in Flickr and paste the shortcut into your entry....it didn't say it would end up like this! I'll try the other method!

a little while later....SUCCESS!!

Last edited:
Great stuff Skoyen gad to see you posting on here at last and not just on Flickr, I'd love to have joined you on that little trip it looked great, wonder what Senn will say missing that lot. :)

Those are the beasts i skipped when it started to pee it down, Nice one Skoyen and welcome to posting up here. A nice partnership in catching this area is developing.

Those Vickers are pretty well buried. I thankfully got to all these today and as Skoyen states they are easy to get to once you start. I gps referenced them all in the end. Those Vickers are so heavily buried you can walk over two without realising they were there.

Latest posts

Back