Alnmouth Battery

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Went for a mooch about in Alnmouth at the weekend and took some photo's of the battery there. Firstly a breif history of the place.

This artillery battery was originally built in 1881 by the Duke of Northumberland for the use of the Percy Artillery Volunteers to counter the threat of invasion from the French. An inscribed plaque on the front is difficult to read but commemorates the Duke's gift. The building is L shaped and has a small rectangular room and an ammunition store built below ground level. The turret was altered during the Second World War and a pillbox built in it's place. It is now a grade II listed building. The turret originaly used to hold a pair of cannons.

The inscription on the plaque reads "This Battery was erected by His Grace Algernon Duke of Northumberland K.G. for the use of the Percy Artillery Volunteers completed 12th March 1881".

Anyway on with the pics...

What the **** is that...

DSCF2469.jpg

Ahhhhh that what it is...

DSCF2503.jpg

The steps down to the ammo store

DSCF2473.jpg

Internal Shots

DSCF2477.jpg

DSCF2478.jpg

Into the ammo storage area

DSCF2482.jpg

I appologise for the picture quality as it was pitch black in there so the photo's are took using the flash

DSCF2483.jpg

any ideas what these holes are as they were all over this place and seemed to be connected

DSCF2484.jpg

2 holes in the roof of the ammo store coresponding to the location of where the turret would have been

DSCF2486.jpg

Then back outside for some embrasure shots...

DSCF2490.jpg

DSCF2476.jpg

DSCF2475.jpg

And finally on to the pillbox on top. The only access to this was to climb up from the right hand side next to the aircraft post/range finder enclosure. The plaque at the doorway

DSCF2492.jpg

first look inside (the step down is about 18" to 24")

DSCF2493.jpg

Left side of the richote wall

DSCF2494.jpg

right hand side (notice the holes in the floor on the second pic that go down into the ammo store)

DSCF2495.jpg

DSCF2496.jpg

tin sheeting roof

DSCF2498.jpg

And lastly a view from the top looking over Alnmouth bay

DSCF2499.jpg

I also took some photo's of some of the 100+ tank blocks that litter the place but I won't bore you with them

Thanks for looking

Jon

nice one jonney good example there m8 good pics and nice nugget of history.:lol:

Excellent report but what a shame the pillbox was built but no doubt in time of war these things are nessacery. Some great photo's and I don't mind being bored with a few road blocks.:)

Excellent report but what a shame the pillbox was built but no doubt in time of war these things are nessacery. Some great photo's and I don't mind being bored with a few road blocks.:)

Ok NC just for you. The first ones blocked the path to the battery

DSCF2504.jpg

DSCF2520.jpg

DSCF2521.jpg

DSCF2522.jpg

Latest posts

Back