Ambergate Wireworks

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsp77

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
So having just looked round the Oakhurst House next was the Wire-works, was quite a relaxed wonder round the various buildings. What i did find interesting was the red fungi i came across, i have added a photo.​

Brief history

Richard Johnson & Nephew Wireworks at Ambergate was a major employer of men and women from Crich Parish. This was originally set up in 1876 as Richard Johnson & Nephew. It was acquired in 1990 by Bridon and closed in 1996.​

on with the photos

thanks for looking:D

Lovely pictures. Pretty sure the fungi is Sarcoscypha coccinea, the Scarlet elf-cup, look a bit like Scarlet waxcaps from the top but those grow (fairly infrequently) on unimproved grassland and are killed off by frosts whereas your substrate is wood and leaf litter. While waxcaps are some of my favourite mushrooms to eat I'm not so sure about elf-cups although I've heard good things!

That's the first time I've posted in three and a half years, definitely need to stop lurking so much.

Its great to see this place again, good to see it looks like Colour has updated with some typically unusual graff;)

I do like an interesting fungi shot and these definitely tick the box;)

Should probably Google it anyway... it's now a vintage car museum 🤣. Or at least part of it is

The buildings around the back of the main factory are still there, the roadway in your photos is a public footpath up into the woods. If you are in the area it's probably worth going into the woods and find the 'Betty Kenny Yew', an ancient yew that legend says a charcoal burner and his family lived in/around giving rise to the nursery rhyme 'Rock-a-Bye-Baby'. It's very photogenic.

Back