Anti tank Island - Axminster – Apr/June 2011

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair comment, and at the risk of showing my ignorance (or fool learning by his mistake?) I was still under the impression that most anti-tank islands actually utilised existing defence works constructed as part of regional stop lines or the GHQ line. Most 1941 work involved preparation of demolition belts, wiring works , minefields etc and not the continued construction of pillboxes. That's the impression I got from research I've carried out in Suffolk and I fully realise that I could be missing the wider picture by limiting research to one county - one of the reasons I joined this forum to learn from others!

It seems to differ from region to region and I would imagine most of those differences are down to resources available in any given area at any given time. In this particular case statements made by either myself or Munch are actually backed up by the original war office plans and documents of the time so are largely as accurate as can be 70 years after the fact.

Twas the Axe Vale Festival. Like a county show...falconry, sheep dog trials, best bull, flower & vegetable display/competition, grockle hunting...only kidding on the last one! :mrgreen:

Excellent and well put together report as always, Munchh. Look forward to the next one. :)

Cheers Foxy. :)

Aaaah grockle hunting, those were the days. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back