Any ideas what this might be

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caterham

Reaction score
As I walked up to it I thought it was going to be a pill box but then I realised it was much bigger (similar in height through)

From 10 feet away the structure is completely hidden behind a thick hawthorn & bramble hedge - it is around 20'x30' and the hawthorn is so thick that I could not find any entrance door and no hatch is visible on the roof. It is just sitting there at the edge of pair of arable fields that are partially seperated by a hedge

The location is only about a mile from the nearest recorded ROC post so it's unlikely to be another one

4826618115_7f2805a9a3.jpg

There is almost a little soil ramp all the way around and some evidence of the land owner discouraging the locals from expoloring

4827226014_cd9faa1519.jpg

The walls are brick and this, the flat roof is concrete

4826618433_2a15546408.jpg

From 10 feet awy the whole thing is invisible - this is the short side of the building

4827226260_b597bffc9c.jpg

Peering through the undergrowth (with attendant scratches) shows the earth piled up against the walls

Anyone have any ideas what this might be

Last edited:
Mr Dumpty

Yes they are, not sure why the links don't work

What have I done wrong ?

Thanks
Paul

Removed as I've got it working, Flickr images need to be static

Last edited:
Could you give us a grid ref for this? It might give us a clue by knowing what other WWII era stuff is in the area. Is there an airfield nearby for example?

No idea, your photos are far too small to see any detail and your watermark covers up anything useful. Sorry!

I suspect that this was some form of water tank/cistern that originally had the walls covered/strengthened by a surrounding mound of earth - this has mostly eroded away with the passage of time. You will have to do further research to find out wether it was associated with the ROC post or some other enterprise.

A similar item complete with pump/valve house situated on 'The Billing' in Rawdon has just sold by Yorkshire Water for nearly £5000 - it was originally built in the 1930's to supply water to the council and private housing that was being built on the empty land forming the Guiseley/Rawdon/Yeadon triangle.

Latest posts

Back