Arnos Vale Cemetery

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alansworld

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
This is an extraordinary cemetery in Bristol. The first burial took place in 1839. I viewed it as in 3 parts - the main part, about half, a traditional cemetery on flat ground beyond the entrance, then about a quarter or so situated on steep narrow pathways, then the rest in virtually inaccessible deep forest. It's a complex place, with many little nooks and crannies, and I suspect you could mooch every day for a fortnight without finding it all. Here's a few tasters, and you'll find 80+ at full size at Arnos Vale

pk3_1253.jpg

pk3_1255.jpg

pk3_1260.jpg

pk3_1269.jpg

pk3_1270.jpg

pk3_1278.jpg

pk3_1295.jpg

pk3_1297.jpg

pk3_1298.jpg

pk3_1314.jpg

pk3_1327.jpg

pk3_1331.jpg

pk3_1336.jpg

pk3_1338.jpg

What an awesome place. Brilliant photos too. What struck me was a lot of the gravestones were people dying in their 20's

hayabusabart;292383 What struck me was a lot of the gravestones were people dying in their 20's[/QUOTE said:
I know this place well - a distant branch of my family lived and died in Victorian Bristol - it is one of the few large, old cemeteries where the decay seems to add something to the surroundings. Alansworld's excellent photographs have, in my mind, captured that vision perfectly. As you walk round this and any other Victorian cemetery for that matter, one will find an even greater number of burials of children - ranging in age from weeks to early/late teens. The common childhood illnesses, which today we hardly mention in everyday conversation, were dreaded topics in those days and all money could do was prevent your child being buried in a pauper's grave and provide a superb example of the monumental mason's art!

Thanks for the compliments guys, and for the interesting comments. It was a most enjoyable visit, made even better by the unusual (for a cemetery) presence of a cafe, just the thing for a tired explorer! If the pics are quality I'll point firmly in the direction of my new Pentax K-3 and the near-perfect Pentax 15mm f/4 Limited.

They sell Xams trees at the bath road entrance,
You can also have coffee or eats, Or that was so 2 years ago

Latest posts

Back