Aston Hall Mental Asylum - Derbyshire April 09 **Pic Heavy**

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep this over PM's incase we upset the mods - one coming your way shortly ;)

James, Aston Hall Hospital is owned by Richmond Care Villages (developments ltd) I will PM you full details.... ;)

Hello -
I used to live in the village for many years and worked at Aston Hall in the early 1990's. I've been up north for fifteen years or so, and have recently moved back to Derbyshire. I went for a walk up there last weekend, and couldn't believe the state of it - very sad. I'm off back with an old colleague later this week to try and get some more photos before they flatten it completely. I won't be posting them, as I think all the best shots have been covered on here.Thanks for all the pictures - I don't think I'd feel confident enough to go right inside, so it's good to see some internal shots, especially of the main hall - we used to perform our school pantomimes on that stage!:)

Welcome to the forum! Please do go inside, there is nothing to fear, the local chavs are not violent. And please post your photos, everyone's take on a site is welcomed :)

19 year old friend

I am uploading some of my photos that I got while I was with j.s

4252_99165645585_538245585_3059020_1334207_n.jpg

4252_99165635585_538245585_3059018_6286733_n.jpg

4252_99165640585_538245585_3059019_7583204_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hello -
I used to live in the village for many years and worked at Aston Hall in the early 1990's. I've been up north for fifteen years or so, and have recently moved back to Derbyshire. I went for a walk up there last weekend, and couldn't believe the state of it - very sad. I'm off back with an old colleague later this week to try and get some more photos before they flatten it completely. I won't be posting them, as I think all the best shots have been covered on here.Thanks for all the pictures - I don't think I'd feel confident enough to go right inside, so it's good to see some internal shots, especially of the main hall - we used to perform our school pantomimes on that stage!:)

I am not trying to be the Jesus of exploration here but if you do go inside it ain't gonna look and feel anything like it used to when you worked there.

There are gaping holes in the floors everywhere and it is very dark because the windows are all boarded up.

And the local chavs apparently threw a rock at someones car recently. And if the place has been set on fire (main hall) what's to say the worst won't happen and they set fire to it when you are in there??????????

The thing that throws me completely is the location, Aston on Trent, wonderful looking village, the last place you'd expect scum to live and desecrate any kind of building. In saying that someone did gypo my business 'A' board advertising sign in the village years ago never to be seen again!

The thing that throws me completely is the location, Aston on Trent, wonderful looking village, the last place you'd expect scum to live and desecrate any kind of building. In saying that someone did gypo my business 'A' board advertising sign in the village years ago never to be seen again!

A popular misconception is that twattish behaviour amongst young people is confined to poor working class kids from council estates - absolute nonsense, just because a kids got rich parents doesn't mean they're particularly good parents.

chavs & wannabes

Most of them dont put any thought into it, they just want to have fun somewhere where authority doesnt have a strong hold. Im sure in different situations there behaviour is totaly different.

Im a young guy and I still strugle to understand 90% of people in my age group. Your right tho it doesnt mater whether they are rich or poor. I come from a poor family and i havnt turned out bad.

Keepout has a point tho in a tranquil village yobs exist, just shows how many sheep there are out there.

Duckerella gave me a nice idea 4 a photo that we havnt done

Hi again -
We went up to Aston Hall during a sunny morning earlier this week, and managed to get a few photos. Thanks James, for suggesting I put them up - people might get a bit fed up of seeing the same things but I've had a go anyway. As I'm really thick re. uploading and stuff like that, it's taken me a few days to try and figure how to do it - if they're up when I've posted this then I'll know I've done it right, if not, never mind, you've seen them all before!
It's very sad the state that the buildings are in now, but the trees and flowers surrounding them are beautiful - all bursting into life again during spring in a complete contrast to the desolation around them.
I have both very good and and a few bad memories of this place, it having been part of my life for many years.
Duckerella
Duckerella

I come from a poor family and i havnt turned out bad.
You are not from a poor family :)

Thanks for going Duckerella!
I went with LIO112 and Peter again and we had bricks thrown at us by chavs, they tried to attack us. I flagged down a passing police car and they were taken away in handcuffs.
It just goes to show how rich kids can turn out bad. I am starting to agree with Thompski, the place should be bulldozed, It's just become a destructive playground. One day one of these scumbags is going to get killed. Have you put your pictures up Duckerella?

James :)

Last edited:
Hi James -
I tried to, but just the link came up....I tried it out and you have to actually type it into the address box and it comes up then - a bit of a round about way to seeing the pictures! If there's an easy way to uplaod, please share...
It sounds a nightmare, kids chucking bricks around...hope you are ok...was it on an evening or weekend when you went back? I'm glad I went in the morning midweek when they were either at school or still in bed!
Aston is made up of a mix of people - some rich, some poor, but mainly just normal(ish) folk like me:). I expect kids from the neighbouring villages/suburbs have caught onto the fact over the years that Aston Hall is an unmonitored playground in which to mess about in, unfortunately.
I would like to go back for one last time to get some video clips but I will have to pick my timing very carefully I think...
Duckerellla

Nice to hear about the fact that you were not bricked anyway. I am ok, but got showered in broken glass when a T*** chucked a brick through the window of engineering.

You upload you photos, view it on your hosting site, right click "copy image location", then come on here, use the
function.

Press the image button at the top, and paste the URL of you image in.

PHOTO

Last edited:
You upload you photos, view it on your hosting site...

Hope you don't mind James, but the way I do it is different and might be a bit easier...or not! :mrgreen:
Anyway, what I do is copy the Image Code underneath the pic you want. PB has hidden them recently so press Link Options beneath your latest image then tick the Img Code so that it appears beneath each pic. Left click then right to copy.
What I do is copy each one onto notepad and do the write-up on there as well so that it can be saved (I once lost 1/2 hour's work when I did it direct without saving...that taught me a lesson! :lol: ). Then I copy and paste the whole lot onto my thread-starter post, preview it to do any tweaking, then post.
Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but if you're like I was when I first started, then you might not have a clue so it's useful to know each stage.
Hope that helps, Duckerella...and welcome to DP. :)

Thankyou for your suggestions, Foxylady and James. I have had a go at trying both out but am really not to grips with even the basics of uploads and couldn't get either option to work as I couldn't find the functions. I'm going to be pretty useless on here then, if I can't post my findings! Never mind,I'll see if I can get someone to have a go with me and get it sorted at some point:). Thanks again for your help.

You'll soon get the hang of it, just upload, and try the methods both me and Foxy have suggested :)

If all else fails, just post links to your album, or photos, not perfect, but people will see yout pics, I have (I looked at your album) they are very good!

Pikeys did the majority of the damage to the buildings and the site in general, and not for a second do i believe these stories of us 'chavs' being violent or attacking people walking through the site.
Everyday we see dog walkers walking through mental home and we just mind our own business, what else is there to do around Aston?
If your ever planning on coming down to have a look around the site, PM me and i would be more than happy to show you around the place, i know the now rare entrances to the buildings since it has recently been barricaded up again, however all buildings are now accesible, ( got in the last building through a second floor window yesterday) the urge to explore the place is too great...

Last edited:
Pikeys did the majority of the damage to the buildings and the site in general, and not for a second do i believe these stories of us 'chavs' being violent or attacking people walking through the site.
Everyday we see dog walkers walking through mental home and we just mind our own business, what else is there to do around Aston?
If your ever planning on coming down to have a look around the site, PM me and i would be more than happy to show you around the place, i know the now rare entrances to the buildings since it has recently been barricaded up again, however all buildings are now accesible, ( got in the last building through a second floor window yesterday) the urge to explore the place is too great...

While it's unfair to say every youth in the area goes there to trash the place, there is plenty of evidence to suggest a lot of the damage is the result of some youths. My understanding of 'pikeys' is that they take metal from places via the most efficient means possible, they don't set fire to the place, smash every window, graffiti or get drunk inside them, as is the case with Aston Hall.

While it's unfair to say every youth in the area goes there to trash the place, there is plenty of evidence to suggest a lot of the damage is the result of some youths. My understanding of 'pikeys' is that they take metal from places via the most efficient means possible, they don't set fire to the place, smash every window, graffiti or get drunk inside them, as is the case with Aston Hall.

Sorry AstonWillo, but agree with Thompski. "Pikeys" (or travellers to be pedantic!!) don't generally do majority of damage to buildings, they strip copper wire, they take things they can sell and make money from. They don't smash every mirror/cupboard, piece of furniture, smash every window and door in the building, etc. (or smash that fantastic pool at Aston Hall, strangely enough, it's normally the localish kids/teens/yobs who apparently "have nothing to do!!!" who in general smash stuff up "just for the hell of it, after all, there's nothing else for us to do is there!!!!!".

Another thing, "pikeys" keep to themselves, if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. When you walk around some of the places we've been, then it's normally the teens that we find smashing stuff up, windows, etc, and shouting rude comments at us and everyone else.

As for the rubbish of "there's nothing for us to do in Aston" that's just crap and a get out!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back