Atlas Engineering Works Manchester 10/15

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignickb

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
During a drunken conversation with someone I will call T, I was informed of this site and during a boring sunday - decided to go have a look! It was a good decision apart from all the thorn bushes which would outdo any human security when it came to entry! Thankfully the old electric fence was off too (Are those things still legal?)
History that I could gather:
Edward G Herbert founded Rapidor in 1892 as a Machine tool makers and was based in the Atlas Engineering works in Levenshulme, Manchester!
In 1920 the company went public and issued catalogues showing their latest products; Metal sawing machines! Other companies were taken on to represent the products; Inniss & Riddle in Birmingham and W.Crockatt & sons in Scotland.
Testing and Balancing equipment was introduced using the name Olson and Lundgren as well as precision lathes.
This continued on the site right up to the 1960.s
Adjacent to it was the Atlas Mill which was home to Buffoline Gears and Hough Hoseason (Industrial chemists)
In 2005 a large fire destroyed the mill and the Engineering works! The mill was demolished and you can still see the tiled floor next to the surviving Atlas works.
Today, there is a large space that is overgrown, the only redeeming feature is a large silo tank stood amongst the thorn bushes!
And what a fine collection of thorns there is! I got cut to ribbons and now call myself Mr Germoline! Inside, the main building is trashed but still a good mooch, another lost industry that Manchester once led the world with!

The outside!
20151108_162944b_zpsnjtyuinp.jpg

Where the Mill was and side external! The floor is still tiled and nature came with avengeance!
_DSC9046b_zpst22revil.jpg

Don't drink it all at once! The brand name is linked to Shell chemicals!
_DSC9042b_zpsf6wdv1mj.jpg

Internal:
_DSC9023b_zpsonu9ed2i.jpg

Gimme shelter?
_DSC9022b_zpscwbuquis.jpg

Old cabin, and the stench of motor oil!
_DSC9017b_zpsbtg3pcq5.jpg

Other side and offices:
_DSC9014b_zpsw9lpwk5v.jpg

Do you think they want this left on? Pikey Fryer!
_DSC9006b_zpsf7vegnyi.jpg

Control gear?
_DSC8989b_zpsqcoen9wg.jpg

Don't go into the light!!
_DSC8986b_zps3k9axx02.jpg

Upper internal:
_DSC8983b_zpsyrdhjzaa.jpg

Offices! Sack the cleaner!
_DSC8980b_zpswaos5ppf.jpg

Kitchen:
_DSC8974b_zpsp4jgacn2.jpg

Window on the workers:
_DSC8954b_zps9tkk9vnp.jpg

Fantastic set, beautiful light in there. Thanks for sharing your lovely photographs :)

Is this the same place where my ancestors built steam engines - Sharp Stewart, Atlas Works, Manchester??

Is there any connection with Atlas bar in Manchester, which is in an old building with 'Atlas' above?

Is there any connection with Atlas bar in Manchester, which is in an old building with 'Atlas' above?

The only connection is that I look after their bar sound system. Apart from that - No. it's just a popular name.

Latest posts

Back