Balintore castle Aug 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

peterc4

Completely forgot about this explore until i seen it on here last week.
I was working in perthshire in 2009 whem i stumbled on this place out shooting landscapes.
It is a magnificent building.
Done a bit of research and it had just been bought by a local guy who had a 25 year project to get it back
to it's former glory.
Could be going back that way soon will go and see how she is doing....

Balintore Castle is a Victorian Category A listed building in Scotland.

Balintore Castle
Balintore Castle, distant viewThe castle occupies an elevated site in moorland above Balintore village, a few miles north of the Loch of Lintrathen, near Kirriemuir, Angus. A tower house named Balintor existed on the site in the late 16th century, according to Timothy Pont's maps.

It was designed in 1859 by the architect William Burn. A typical example of the Scottish Baronial style, it features an abundance of turreted towers and gables, and an imitation portcullis. The main tower is topped by a balustraded viewing platform similar to that of Buchanan Castle.

The centrepiece of the interior is the great hall, and there is also a gallery, bedrooms, dinner service room, women servant’s sitting room, brushing room, beer cellar, lumber room, butler’s pantry, dining room, and a library.

Balintor Castle was commissioned as a sporting lodge by David Lyon, MP, who had inherited a fortune made by his family through investments in the East India Company. Latterly the castle was only used during the shooting season. In the 1960s it was decided not to repair the extensive dry rot and it was abandoned. The castle then stood empty until 2007, during which time its condition deteriorated to point of endangering the structure. Balintore Castle has been listed in the Scottish Civic Trust Buildings at Risk Register since it started in 1990. Angus Council used its compulsory purchase powers to buy it from its absentee Far Eastern owners, and it is now in the hands of a Scotsman who intends to restore it and use it as a residence.

a lovely sillouette before leaving at dusk
balin-18.jpg

balin-17.jpg

balin-16.jpg

balin-15.jpg

balin-14.jpg

balin-13.jpg

balin-12.jpg

balin-11.jpg

balin-10.jpg

balin-9.jpg

balin-8.jpg

balin-7.jpg

balin-6.jpg

what a view from the top floor
balin-5.jpg

balin-4.jpg

balin-3.jpg

balin-2.jpg

balin-1.jpg

Last edited:
your going to need some serious deep pockets for that place.... A good £2-3million I would think to do it justice?

Like something straight out of a fairy tale. Such a nice looking castle :) Cheers.

The exterior is the stuff of dreams, there cracking shots of it , such a shame its got like that, i really do hope they can restore it somehow

The guy who owns it has a blog on the restoration progress, he actually lives on the place whilst doing it. If you send the guy a email he seems very proactive about showcasing the place to the public, even has community events on a regular basis.

Lovely building though and some fantastic photos!

Latest posts

Back