Beelitz Heilstatten (Hitlers Hospital)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanX

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Beelitz Heilstatten is massive. It’s set over a whole district of the town. Moving around the site means crossing major roads, and even a live, very busy train station! Visted with the mighty Priority 7 (tour guide) and CovertUrbex

IMG_1066.jpg

Designed as a sanatorium near the turn of the 20th Century it was soon a key military hospital for the first world war.

IMG_1068.jpg

In that World War a guy named Adolf Hitler got shot in the leg at the battle of the Somme. He was bought here where he spent a couple of months recouperating. So while Mrs UrbanX went to visit some Berlin Museums Priority 7, Covert Urbex and myself decided to see some real history and visit the rooms where he stayed, and walk the corridors he walked (probably limped).

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

In 1945, Beelitz-Heilstätten was occupied by Soviet forces, and the complex remained a Soviet military hospital until 1995, well after the German reunification. In December 1990 Erich Honecker was admitted to Beelitz after being forced to resign as the head of the East German government.

Operating Theatre:
IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

Following the Soviet withdrawal, attempts were made to privatize the complex, but they were not entirely successful. Some sections of the hospital remain in operation as a neurological rehabilitation center and as a center for research and care for victims of Parkinsons disease. The remainder of the complex, including the surgery, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, was abandoned in 2000.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

Just love the brickwork:
IMG_1123.jpg

Some externals:
IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

One building has been dubbed “The Bombed Pavilion” because err…it’s been bombed. It was just left, so trees have had some 60-70 years to cultivate on it’s roof!

IMG_1145.jpg

I’m not sure if any onf you have the coffee table book “Beauty in Decay” (Great book) but the front cover of it was shot here.
beauty-in-decay.jpg

Here’s my way poorer effort :p
IMG_1143.jpg

Still, a beautiful staircase all the same.
IMG_1136.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ny_3A5LDA&hd=1[/ame]

Cheers for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic location and awesome shots as always!

The video is epic, your best one yet I think :)

This place is huge on a scale you can't truly imagine without seeing it in the flesh. My second visit and I still found a few shots here they are:

corridor001.jpg

surgery001.jpg

utent001.jpg

thehall001.jpg

roofart001.jpg

corridor002.jpg

sadly it seems that the buildings deterioration is accelerating at an alarming rate tag graffiti adorns almost every wall which is a real shame. This was one a several explores in superb company (UrbanX and Covert Urbex)

What an awesome place. I'll have to check the video later as I'm already late for work... Excellent report & photos both. Love the staircase shots :)

Ahh I love this palce, hoping to do it next year! Brilliant pics for you both!

Ahh I love this palce, hoping to do it next year! Brilliant pics for you both!

The place has tours round the mens pavillion and bath house which are locked down pretty tight...I have been twice now Feb and Sept this year and the rate of deterioration is shickening (Wasn't sure if I should say shocking or sickening so combined the two) and thats my Sean Connery impression over with too :) Best get there really quick to be honest

Fantastic location and awesome shots as always!

The video is epic, your best one yet I think :)

Cheers dude :)

Took me ages, I'm getting slower in my old age! Plus I had to edit the Linkin Park track too, it's normally only 3 1/2 mins, but I needed it 5 mins long!

Back