Beginners Guide to Draining

Help Support Derelict Places:

smiler

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Great little guide that though I doubt at my age I'll be poking around in any drains but if I get the chance I'' read this up first. :)
I'm with you N.C, sounds a fascinating part of exploring and good advice
but I think I might be a wee bit past it, splunking is bad enough, the darn sumps are shrinking

Last edited:

rudie

Reaction score
Not seen it mentioned anywhere but if you enter drains or septic areas you should carry a weils disease card.

Just a heads up if you didn't know. Its a pretty rare bug and can often be mild and flu like but if it does becomes full blown weils it can cause kidney failure and death in 15% of cases. But obviously exposure to risk areas increases your chances of contraction.

Risk areas are typically drains, sewers,septic areas,stagnant water and places with large rat populations.

As it is a rare condition it is wise to carry a card ( they are free) if you do enter such areas to speed up diagnosis.

krela

Administrator
Reaction score
Weil's is a bit of a red herring where H&S went mad a number of years ago and it kinda stuck. There are a tiny number of cases in the UK per year (and I mean tiny), and the majority of them are among people who spend large amounts of time head down in running freshwater rivers (i.e. canoeists, extreme sports people, canyoners etc) and quite a few other UK cases actually contracted it abroad. From what I remember there have only been 2 or 3 cases in the past couple of years amongst water and sewer workers. These figures are from primary research I did myself into the H&S executive and NHS treatment statistics last year.

As with most things it's good to be aware of, but it's not the major concern it's made out to be. There are much bigger issues to be concerned with.

rudie

Reaction score
Oh aye.

I would surely agree there are larger risks. And as i said weils disease is often unnoticed as can be mild flu like symptoms. I have worked in sewers and am involved in all sort of confined space working and yet i must admit to never having met anyone who has contracted it. However for the sake of putting a small card in your wallet its an easy risk to mitigate.

The thing that worries me most is the amount of folk making access to these areas without a gas detector. I guess many would not like to pay for them but they can be hired. Encountering h2s or co isn't much fun - that's from experience!

Catmandoo

Veteran Member
Reaction score
Well informed Krela..... But also appreciate the heads up rudie.
I've been a drainage worker for 10 years and have not known anyone amongst our crews, contractors, and throughout Severn Trent Water to have been affected by leptospirosis (Weils disease) (touch wood)).
I do carry a card as my job requirement, which the information is easily available on the net anyway. However, the reasoning behind carrying the card is that leptospirosis is that uncommon the NHS staff may need a refresher given the rare case that they come across it.
Good hygiene and common sense will increase your chances in it not becoming a reality for yourself. As Krela mentioned, there are far more other dangers to be more cautious about.

Happy exploring! :)